Clitorea ternatea single blue

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I've seen hummers on this one this year. Normally, it is just the bees...
-seedpicker_TX

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Very nice seedpicker:-) Do you have the double flowered one too?

Yes, but the double blue bloomed while the camera battery was still recharging(takes a while)! lol...and had closed up when it was ready...
I also have the double white, but it hasn't bloomed, yet...

This single blue is probably my least favorite, of the three...actually the centrosema virginiana is similar, and close to the same shape, but a pretty lavender, and I like it a great deal better, for some reason...
Probably more than all three of those.
-seedpicker_TX

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I love them all. My double blue didn't bloom well this year. Maybe because we never did have really hot weather. I think three days above 90 was all this year. I love the intense blue coloring.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

OH..Lovely picture...
I had a mishap of the seed tray this spring.. as I was bring one to the window it folded in the middle.. and the little starting pots in it were emptyed and the soil strooned everywhere.. I used the dirt and repotted the mixed soil and continued to sprout them..
I'd started a clitorea but the vines I thoughtthey might be have yet to flower... but the foilage isn't like yours.. but another mass of morning glories had a diffrent leaf and a flower... so now I think it is the clitorea..can't figureout till the other vine come which it might be..here's my clitorea... I thnk... Gordon

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

OH>>> Correction for above..
I see it's not clitorea at all... but another of Seedpickers pictures id-ed it for me...
Mine is the blue sky vine... but my clitorea is still missing.. and the foilage I thought it might be is so diffrent from the leaves with seedpickers flower above here it couldn't be my clitorea at all either ... so it is still among the missing... Sorry... Gordon

Isn't that frustrating?
I'm sorry that happended to you! I can't stand it when something is marked wrong, or gets mixed up! I can sympathize!
Good job starting blue sky from seed! It has never worked for me.
-seedpicker_TX

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Seedpicker
My.. you've got a pile of interesting things... and you never got one from seed.. I'm amaised...
I plannted the seeds.. I got online...
never did I hear they might be difficult to get this way...
how do yours grow..
do you over winter them ..
did you get them from a cutting ..
how long do they grow.. after they flower.. since we have then starting flowering aboutthe same time.. what will you do to keep them.. start a cutting before winter ..
do they self polionate..thanks ever so for the posting of the picture I could ID mine from...
Gordon

hi Gordon-
They Flower from now until the end of Spring. We have them growing up poles of a covered porch. The covering is clear polycarbonate, so they get sun all winter, and don't freeze.

I do have a thunbergia grandiflora 'alba'(white version) out in the garden. It is not protected like the blue, and it freezes to the ground around the beginning of January. But, it always returns from the roots, and gets bigger each year.

Mine were from cutttings rooted in sand.
-seedpicker_TX

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

HI SP TX
Well if they will flower so much from now.. I guess I'll unwind it from the trellis and bring in into the house.. I don't think I'lll get much time outside now here.. Oh Well... here's this mornings photo of te next flower.. I'm getting them one at a timehere at the beginning.. it's all gray here...and the wettness you see is Jean moving in...not as a gentler Thanks again for the help..
Gordon

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

Colder weather makes them darker. They are sky blue on a clear sunny day, while they lean toward a darker purple on a really cold day.
-seedpicker_TX

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

My thunbergia is just starting to bloom. Seems like it just sat there all summer and now is growing by leaps and bounds. I saw one covering a chain link fence the other day, it was in full bloom and gorgeous!
Seedpicker, do the clitorias bloom all winter? I have double blue and double white, they are loaded with flowers right now. I will have to watch the hummers to see if they like them.

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Seedpicker, if you have an centrosema seeds to spare, please keep me in mind:-)

indiogoez-okey doke

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Seedpicker,
I've never seen this vine before -- it is beautiful. So it blooms during the winter here?
Terrie

Terrie-
No, that comment was about the blue sky vine. Gordon was asking me about blue sky vine.
The C. ternatea blooms late summer, early Fall, for me...
-seedpicker_TX

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Okay. I'm on my way to look up the blue sky vine!

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

seedpicker
do you have any seeds to share? Sure would like to have some. Let me know if you have them and want SASE
thanks,
Chris

Chris-
I am all out right now, but I'm sure you'll be able to find someone with some, before spring...
sorry I couldn't be more help...
-Seedpicker_TX

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

My hummers go visit the clitoria but don't spend a lot of time on them because I have so many other of their favorites. The long-tail skippers spen a lot of time on it. I found this centrosoma on a island this summer. I dug it up and brought it home and it's still alive. My clitoria bloom until a frost.

Thumbnail by DonnaB

I seem to like the centrosemas better than the clitorias...but the clitorias grow better for me...
Donna-did yours take a while to get going? Did it kinda sleep the first year?
-seedpicker_TX

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I just got it this summer. I dug it up off the island and it transplanted great. I have it in a pot. It hasn't grown much but is starting to bloom like crazy now with the cooler temps.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.