Floating trellis for passiflora

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

I have been using plastic netting for various plants and it works great. It also allows for some creativity when I put climbers on it. Climbers are also descenders, therfore by starting them high and allowing them to grow down a different look can be achieved. It tends to work for me and they don't grow over the fence and bug people. This is P. actinia . I give it about 4 hours in the morning of direct morning light and then in the afternoon it gets indirect. I stake the bottom down with 6 penny nails through a washer and it works well. It makes a 4' by 8' trellis for a couple of dollars. By putting the pot on a hill it makes a 45 degree slope of the netting and has a nice hanging effect.The hill makes an L-shape and the netting completes the triangle so from the side it looks like a right triangle. Remember Geometry class. LOLOLOL!

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Very interesting idea Monterey:-) Keep us updated as to how it works out for the actinia.

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

This is the Cardinal Climbers. These I grew up because the space demanded that way.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Those are great ideas if you want to keep your plants a bit back from the fence, too, which I have a problem with weeds and grass encroaching. I have also used the netting to coax a sweet autumn clematis up a metal arch my DH welded for me, with the bars quite far apart, and to coax clematis up an apple tree, which also worked well for me this year. They started out to keep the deer off from them, and found a better purpose!! Legit

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.