Advice

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Would anyone care to give me a few pointers about making a bonsai out of a schefflera plant? Mine is only 6 inches tall. Do I start now, do I wait until it gets bigger, how big, etc. I saw a really cool one and wanted to try this, but have no idea how to start. Anyone care to try to tell a blonde how to bonsai???????
Ruth

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Ruth,

Do you know if the schefflera plant you have is a dwarf or the regular kind? I have seen pictures of dwart schefflera bonsai, but the regular kind get too big.

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

im trying a regular sized one in a mame style pot.forgive if my terminology is not right.
the pot is about three inch by two inch and one inch deep.i know its still a seedling but it looks good so far.i keep topping it to encorage branching and stunt its growth.
i would think for a larger bonsai,you first need to let it grow in a larger pot in order to get some girth on the trunk,then cut it back hard and wait for new growth.its a long process.

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

I think it's a regular sized schefflera. I got it at Wally World for $1.77 so it's pretty small right now. I think I will try to put it in a bigger pot and see what happens. Do I put it into a bonsai pot now or do I wait a while. I guess I didn't know that there was a dwarf kind. Thanks for the advice.
Ruth

I have done some Bonsai-like sculpting of a full sized Schefflera. I took a mature plant, which already had promising trunk shape, and just cut away branches, here and there, till I achieved the look I wanted. It's not true Bonsai, in the technical sense of the word, but......
I spoke to a Bonsai Nursery Owner, nearby, and he was of the opinion that you must first grow a healthy strong plant, before you can attempt any Bonsai treatment. Perhaps, if you have a LOT of patience, you could try training the trunk, wiring it to grow as you wish, but with a Schefflera, I'd just look for one which already has the style you most want. A dwarf would make a much better subject, as Tim suggested. Since mine will never be a true Bonsai, I didn't waste a lot of time and energy on it, but I DID come out with a much more interesting plant, than I started out with!

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

you could put it in a bonsai pot,but it wouldnt look mush like bonsai.

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Thanks for all the advice guys!! I really appreciate it. I think I will try to train the trunk when it gets a little bigger, maybe this fall. Now all I have to do is figure out why one orchid is blooming and the other is not doing so well when I treat them both the same.
Thanks again.
Ruth

Derwood, MD(Zone 7a)

I have had such a bonsia for many years. I started it from a small plant. I must admit I am not overly impressed with it though. The trunk is too tall. It does not respond well to cutting upper leaves back, it does not sprout lower branches. However, in the last two years, it has started making arial roots that reach the pot. I am encouraging this as it will add interest. They sure are pretty when well done.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.