Bulley's Iris (Iris bulleyana)

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Bulley's Iris
Iris bulleyana

Grown from seed collected in Yunnan Province, China

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
San Luis Obispo, CA

This is quite lovely. Thank you for filling out the information part!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Great photo, Todd. It reminds me a bit of our Iris setosa here in Alaska. Do you think this one would grow here?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I expect with adequate snow-cover it should survive in coastal Alaska, which is probably as mild as it is in Newfoundland.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Well, if you'd like to trade seeds sometime, let me know.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

As it happens, I am letting the plant produce seed this year (soon to be harvested) so if you send your mailing address, I'd be happy to send seed.

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

that's one of the most beautiful irises, i have ever seen. i love the unusual. belinda

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

If you have enough seeds I am interested also. I have a new species iris seedling from Yunnan, too. Goniocarpa grossa. Do you know it? It's an aril.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

We can't grow the aril type iris in Newfoundland...junos are also very challenging except I. bucharica.

We can't grow this aril either. A hybridizer grew it from seed and I bought it at an auction. I am feeling very responsible to keed it alive. I have decided to keep it in a pot so I can bring it inside for the winter. So far, so good. I'm hoping someone will cross it with an iris grown locally.

Thumbnail by boojum
Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

todd, the collector's nursery is listing this iris for $6.00. the picture doesn't look close. could you please check this for me before i order. thanks, belinda

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Daylily, do you have a link I can follow to see the pic?

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

ANOTHER beauty, Todd! I have no idea how many seeds you get from one iris but I would love to add my name to your list. SASE?
Terrie

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

http://collectorsnursery.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=559

here's the link

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Belinda,
It looks like it has the same markings but just darker. Todd, please do let us know what you think.
Terrie

Here's another photo.
http://home.pacbell.net/kenww/bbg_iris/bbg_siberian/bbg_siberian.html

Here's another but it looks alike.
http://www.badbear.com/signa/display-photo.pl?Iris-bulleyana+3+1

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Looks like the real McCoy. Mine is actually darker blue-purple than the pic shows. The key is in the standards. They should be pinched together into a tube close to the base. The links show it clearly. As mentioned in the links, some authorities think bulleyana is a natural hybrid between crysographes and forrestii or wilsonii. problem is, attempts to cross these two species have never resulted in plants that look like bulleyana! Anyway, my plant came from seeds collected in the wilds of Yunnan. Either way, its a very graceful iris.

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

thanks, todd.

Todd,
My friend and person I buy all my various irises from said that 40 chromo irises are annuals in our area. Do you think I should put my future bulleyana seedling in a pot and bring it in, like my goniocarpa?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Not true! You should have no problems with 40 chromosome iris in your area. Mass is not that much different from Newfoundland (perhaps warmer in summer and shorter winters) and you are in the same zone as me. Siberians and their relatives should grow great guns...the arils and junos might be a different situation. I'm trying a Louisiana iris...crossing my fingers it will work!

Very good news! Maybe bulleyana will convince her...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.