I Just Love Alaska!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I just love living in a big state with a small population! We live in Seward on the Kenai Peninsula, population about 3,000. Last month, my husband bought a coffee pot at Sam's Club in Anchorage. It was a Braun and cost around $80. It quit working yesterday, so he called Braun. They said they would replace it if we would mail it to them in Arizona, along with $10 shipping and handling to send it back. I suggested we take it back to Sam's Club (120 miles) and do some needed shopping rather than pay $15 or $20 to have it replaced.

My husband decided he should call Sam's Club to see if they would allow us to return it, so this morning, about 8 am, he called information for the number. The operator gave him the number, but added, "But they don't open until 9am." What a hoot! Where else would you get so much additional information from an operator... or even speak to a real operator!

Back in 1974, when I first moved here with my husband and two sons, we were playing a game of Trivia and no one could come up with the names of all seven of Snow White's dwarfs. On a lark, someone picked up the phone and called information. In those days, the information was re-routed to the phone operator's home in the evenings. She was a bit 'into her cups' by that hour, but she was able to list all seven dwarfs. You just don't get that kind of service any more... not even in Alaska.

This thread has 22 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!