Cotton seed meal feed as nitrogen fertilizer?

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

I got a bag of 41% cotton seed meal "feed" that I was going to use as the nitrogen component of a homemade organic fertilize but the bag doesn't say what the other 59% is? Is this different than the cotton seed meal that they sell as fertilizer and am I going to get a bunch weed seeds from it? I mixed a little in dirt & watered it to see if any thing sprouts . . . . If so, can I feed it to the chickens? Thanks, JOZ

Forestville, CA(Zone 9a)

The cotton seed meal that is sold for fertlizer is all cotton seed meal - it has about 6% nitrogen. The stuff you bought probably has some feed grains and possibly some alfafa meal mixed in. You might ask the place where you bought it what is in it exactly. If your test does not produce any sprouts i think you could go ahead and use it as a fertlizer. George

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

around here "gin trash" is free for the taking.... or maybe $40 for a dumptruck load.
It isn't fertilizer perse, more like a really good compost additive.

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

I'm not sure that I'd use cotton seed meal in an orgainc mix. My understanding is that cotton is one of the most heavily pesticide sprayed crops. Not sure how much would be left (if any) on the remains.

You can probably feed this to the chickens sie they just about eat anything, but alfalfa will give you better looking eggs with really dark orangy yolks. If you let them forage and/or give them all the leftover scraps they will get plenty of protein without it.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

FYI - cottonseed meal is of course from cotton which is one of the heaviest pesticided crops - allowed because cotton is not edible. I would not use it in anything I was actually going to grow something I ate.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.