Cauliflower in a grow bag

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Many have been curious about the grow bags. I am at the top of that list.
So I started some cauliflower in grow bags today. I think they are about 8 weeks old. I bought them from Walmart. I used Half walmart compost manure and half peat in some bags and some I used one third peat and two thirds compost. I put two tablespoons of Osmocote 14-14-14 slow release in each bag. Each bag has about 2 gallons of soil. I put 1 plant per bag. I probly could have put 2 in them but didnt want to chance it.

Cricket

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

the only container gardening i do is to plant veggies in them. this grow bag is something i don't know about. can you tell me exactly what it is. from your picture it looks like its made of plastic but not sure. would like to know more about these things. can they replace the 5 gallon pails i use to grow some vegetables.
any heolp would be appreciated. thanks

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Yes---You can order differant size grow bags------it is poly with u-v-ray protection. They come in 5 gallon, 3 gallon , 1 gallon sizes. You can use them a few times before throwing them away. They come in black or white. So far, I havent watered the cauliflower since I planted them in the bags 9-23. They are still moist. And it hasnt rained. Our day temps have been about 82-85 and night has been about 62-65. I think you can get these empty grow bags at:
www.bareroots.com

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

oopssssssssss---------try this one.

www.living-learning.com

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

cricketstomato - thank you for the info on the grow bags. i am going to use them next season. what size bags are you using to grow the cauliflower?
i would imagine that i would be able to use the 3 gallon size for my hot peppers, snowpeas and bush stringbeans and the 5 gallon size for tomatoes.
i would like to use them on my deck but it looks like that once the bags are filled you can't move them around. are you able to life the bags you have in the picture?
also, don't the roots rip through the fabric?

thanks again for the info. if anyone out there has had experience with the bags would like to hear from you. is this something that can be used in my garden instead of planting them into the ground?

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I am using half of the 5 gallon since that is all I had. I just folded the plastic down just above my soil line. I used about 2 gallons of soil in each bag.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.