Aristolochia in bud

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Not sure which species, but I think it's gigantea...

Should be open tomorrow I think:-)

Thumbnail by Indigoez
Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Spoke (typed?:-) too soon... this one was hidden behind a canna leaf.

Thumbnail by Indigoez
Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

I think it is A. gigantea after checking the PDB entry... here's another one I missed that's about 10 feed off of the ground growing up a canna.

Thumbnail by Indigoez
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Way to go!
Do they smell as bad, as I have heard they do?
-seedpicker_TX

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

They don't have much of a smell unless you're right up on them, and even then its not that bad, just a bit yucky.

Very unusual looking flower. I just love the colours!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

The flowers actually smell like lemons in gigantea, but the leaves smell kind of yuckie if you touch them. I think it's A. gigantea var. braziliensis/brasiliensis flowers that smells like rotten flesh isn't it?
Indigoez, my giganteas are blooming now too and my A. elegans has buds. Have yours grown like crazy this summer?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, indeed, that's Gigantea. I grow mine in a pot and it climbs on a metal wall planter. After 3 l/2 years, I finally got to see a Pipevine Swallowtail butterfly laying eggs in 5 different spots on the vine. I was thrilled. I bring caterpillars home from the Nursery I work at. I have Gulf fritalarys on my passion vines and swallowtails on my parsley and rue.

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Calalily, it's had moderate growth, but I just got in back in June, so it hasn't really had a lot of time to get going, but I'm happy with the flowers... don't seem to be any more buds coming on though:-/

Pua, you can come and collect all the caterpillars you want from my passion vines lol.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Mine bloomed heavily about six weeks ago and now it is full of buds again and the first one opened a couple of days ago with another that will open in a couple more days. Those buds sure do grow fast. I've got to remember to get this vine in the house soon. Great pictures.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.