different kinds of Iris...

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

I think of the Iris I am most familiar with such as Tall Bearded, different heights and no beards.

Then there is Dutch iris (such as ceasars brother) is that right?

Now, I get confused about Louisiana Iris and Japanese Iris. How are they different and which ones can grow IN the pond.

charlotte

Hi Charolotte. Japanese Iris you can grow in the pond, they are sometimes called Japanese Water Iris, for that reason. You don't have to grow them in a pond, however, as long as you keep them well watered. I have a bed of Japanese Iris I needed to dig up and divide two weeks ago, but didn't know how to go about it. This site saved my hide!! http://members.rogers.com/cdn-iris/japan.html Hope it helps.

Christine

This message was edited Sep 21, 2004 8:58 PM

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

There are four basic categories of irises: bearded, beardless, crested, and bulbous. The AIS is the international registry for all *except* the bulbous irises. Dutch irises are bulbous. CAESAR'S BROTHER is a Siberian iris (beardless). Louisiana and Japanese irises are also beardless. You can read basic descriptions of the various classes and types of irises at the following link:

http://www.irises.org/classification.htm

If you want to know more about each type, visit their respective Society websites linked from this page:

http://www.irises.org/links.htm

Hope that helps,

Laurie

That link I provided you doesn't work at all for some reason. Maybe you can try what I did, just search "japanese iris" and find "Canadian Iris Society-Culture: Japanese Iris". There are some incredible flowers pictured there as well.

you might also try ensata.com - lots and lots of pictures of different irises.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

ceedub, your link doesn't work because there's a period at the end of it. If you delete that final period, it works just fine.

Laurie

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Thank you both. I will check these out.
charlotte

Fixed!! It works fine now. Thanks Laurie.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Don't forget that if you have very alkaline soils, JIs need/want/crave/are unhappy without / acid soil. I water mine with vinegar water. Miracid does just as well.

PS. Caesars Brother is a siberian iris, not a Japanese (JI).

Inanda who cannot possibly live without iris

Thanks inanda, I'll have to try that!

Silver City, NM(Zone 7b)

Great information here.
Which are the bulbous irises? Are they related to the Aril breds?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Arilbreds are in the same section (section iris) as bearded irises and arils, both of which have beards. Arilbreds are hybrids of beardeds and arils. They are not bulbous irises.

Bulbous irises (section reticulata) include reticulata, Dutch, English, Spanish, Juno and a number of bulbous species irises.

Arilbreds and bulbous irises are related only in that they are both contained in the Genus Iris.

Laurie

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Do you have any arils or arilbreds Laurie? I had one but obviously, gave it too much water. If you have any, where do you keep them? Potted up so they don't get wet?
Ginny

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Ginny,

I have experimented with a few ABs and have lost most I've tried, but I do still have a few hanging in there. I have an unknown I think might be LADY MOHR, and then I have the real LADY MOHR (1/4bred). I'm waiting for them to bloom in the same year so I can make close comparisons. I have another unknown AB that I believe is a 1/2bred because it is somewhat pod fertile. I've been growing GREEN EYED SHEBA and JEWEL OF OMAR (both 1/4breds) for several years, and they're doing fine. GES tried to rot to death her first couple years here, but she's finally acclimated. I added another 1/4bred last summer (Sutton intro) and three 1/2breds this summer, so we'll see how they do over the next few years.

I have my ABs planted right alongside my bearded irises in either raised beds or in beds with raised planting windrows, so they get good drainage. I don't do anything to protect them from normal precipitation. I do, however, plant them 1/2-1" deep to maintain more consistent soil conditions and temperature around the rzs. I think that helps them acclimate.

But like I said, I've lost more ABs than I've managed to grow so far.

Laurie

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Ah, interesting. Guess I'll try a couple of 1/4 breds next year. Thanks very much. I had Sheik or maybe with an h. Will go to the arilbred list to see what it was. Very pretty anyway.
Ginny

Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

I love the Japanese and Louisiana Iris. Ensata Gardens does have lots of nice pictures. Iris City is in Tennessee and have quite a few pictures.

http://www.iriscitygardens.com/toc.html
Louisiana Iris "Charlotte's Turu"

Thumbnail by shadowgirl
Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

I am partial to Pacific Coast Iris (beardless)

Thumbnail by PotEmUp

That's so pretty PotEmUp!!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

PotEmUp. that really is the wrong name for your zone. You are lucky to be able to grow PCIs happily. They are so delicate. Do love them. As for LAs. Well, our iris society (Northern Lights Regional Iris soc.) ordered tons of iris from Iris city Gardens this year. Wonderful Las, including some really fab. ones from the Pryors in Australia.
Ceedub, if you are really nuts about iris, you should join the Cdn. Iris Soc. Think they will soon be having their AGM at RBG. Gloria McMillan always brings some great sibs for door prizes and to buy.
that is where I found my first sib, many years ago. Still remember it. Reddy Maid, clumps up very well.
Ginny

Ginny

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

The Louisiana do best in pond here in OK.The Jap. i put in big buried pots in ground and keep them moist all the time, my Jap rotted in pond too hot here maybe

Thanks Ginny. I have one Japanese Iris plant which I'm having some success with-and since its my first iris ever, its very exciting. I don't really have the space to go as crazy as I'd like to unfortunately; I just like to know what I'm doing with what what I do have room for. I'm planning on visiting the RBG in the spring; its about an hour's drive from where I live. I understand they have an amazing iris garden there (I think you told me actually!), as well as roses and lots of other flowers. It sounds just beautiful. I'm even thinking it'll be better to go spring, late spring, early summer, summer, late summer .... lol.

tazzy, I think you're right about the japanese iris not doing well in ponds. I read recently that there is a separate type of iris that is the Japanese Water Iris, and its yellow. "Regular" Japanese Iris do need to be kept wetter than normal irises though, in that way the foliage will grow very tall, and the flowers will be larger. But keeping them in a pond is not the way to do it.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

The only iris I think is happy year round in water is pseudacorus. Yellow or white, double or single. It is also happy in the ground.

JIs you can have in pots in a pond while they bloom, to add beauty to your pond, then bury pot in ground for rest of year.

Go look at http://www.ensatagardens.com

Ginny

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

It is really nice to see some many Canadians on board here. Dad was from Alberta and I still have many cousins in the northern clims. PotEmUp is my name because I do like to have potted plants to rotate through the blooming time and then retire to the south forty. Right now I have Desert Rose taking up the last bit of rays on the southern exposure before it dies back for the winter. Even in my zone 9 there are some things I want to grown from zone 10 and it can take a little shuffling. I am now trying out several South African bulbs - Watsonia, Babiana, Moraea, Ferraria, Geissorhiza, Chasmanthe - All of which are in the Iris family. I went a little crazy at http://thebulbman.com
One of my summer favorites is Tigridia. Here are 4 samples

Thumbnail by PotEmUp
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

George - I did some tigridia for the first time this year and they are definitely on my list. They aren't hardy here so I have to either dig or treat them as annuals. Very stunning blooms!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I got some tigridia from Botanus this spring. They really are lovely. I treat them as glads, dig and save in just above freezing basement.

Watsonia.... WATSONIA...... How exciting. I'll be around with my shovel Potemup.
Did order lots of seed from Kirstenbosch a few years ago but seedling minder killed them off while I was away. Do show some pix if you took any. How I HATE this !@#$ border.

Does anybody grow Diarama, another of my faves. I have some plants which grow well but haven't got them to bloom here yet. Maybe next year.

Ginny

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Ginny, looks like me again! I purchased a gallon can of Dierama pulcherrimum just a couple of months ago. Doesn't look like a bloom this year (late summer/early fall.) The hybrid watsonia and crocosmia have done really well here. I divided and shared some this year. I have had some success with the seeds from the tigridia and a few of th purchased one have been a little whacko. I got one with 4 petals (instead of the 3) and a yellow with no spots in the center. It would be nice if the flower lasted more than a day, but they are gorgeous.
Please don't hate the vehfluchen border, it does provide each of us some uniqueness. Seems like everytime I went over it I manage to smuggle something illegal, maybe I can take some bulbs this next time ;-}

George

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Youe zone sounds just wonderful, to be able to grow So. African wildflowers and not to have to bring them in for the winter.

There are some fab. iris farms in California. Are there any near you? If there arem guess you must have super iris in your garden.
Cheers Ginny

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.