San Joaquin Valley, CA Raisin Dry'n Weather PART 2

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Here you go darius. . . Sure don't want to miss out on your input from the east coast, always enjoy the interesting links you provide in your posts...In all the discussion about pesticides, etc. . forgot to mention that it was a gorgeous day today. . nice and cool...wanted to work outside in the garden all day. It got up to all of 74 degrees today, sunshine, and is 64 right now w/47 Degree dew point. And, it ended up a few places north of here got a trace of rain yesterday...the first precip in 114 days. A dusting of snow in the upper elevations toward Yosemite and Huntington Lake. .

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Yep, In Utah they got a wee bit o' snow up in the ski areas outside of Salt Lake City - Park City, Alta, etc. We got measurable rain yest, no flooding right in town but know some canyons that were surely running. WE got up to 71* today and are down to 60* at 10:20 mtn time. no rain today. dark skies to the south all day, but they never made it into our valley.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Yesterday's gorgeous 74 degrees here broke a Sept. 20 record low standing since 1896. . .We got a few polka dot spots on the sidewalk when a front blew through in the early evening. . .Then, poof it was gone as quick as it blew in. With over half of raisins still on the ground, I'm sure the farmers were breathing a sigh of relief.

Blooms. . Bet those ski parks are rubbing their palms together in anticipation!!Here, if it's a particularly dry winter, the ski areas sometimes don't open at all or they add man-made snow to what they do get. Don't think you guys have that problem.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Sorry, darius. Didn't know about part 2. :-)

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Me either- I have been so busy I had checked my watched threads only and hadn't had time to browse the new forums.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I have the same explaination. Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it!!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Well, I guess I have to forgive you even though jcangemi posted the new thread link as soon as she started it a day or more ago. I miss lotsa stuff myself. ü

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

There was never a link made so I thought that she didn't do it yet because you reported that it was working again. sigh Sorry.

Kelli is right- it is dry dry dry down here- 10% humidity was 70% last week. But I am not getting the winds that she does at least. It kind of poops out before it gets this far towards the shore. But it is almost 90 right now and my brugs are drooping so guess what I have to go do?

Dais'... I stand corrected! Not sure how I got to the new thread but you are right, I don't see a link before the one I posted earlier today. Mea Culpa.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh my goodness- no culps of mea here needed. : )

LOL

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

88-64, dp61, very pleasant. :-)

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

My fault guys and gals. . should've posted the new thread on the old one when I started it...Sorry :-(

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

No fault to be found here! ;-)

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Okay- now it is over 90, I am sweaty and grumpy.

Please send rain.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Get ahold of yourself Daisy. It will rain soon enough!

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Blooms. . .our little system is moving east, your way. . and in the wake is leaving us some great cool days, creeping up on the temp and degree or so a day. . .supposed to be a cool 86 today. . .if you'all thought a raisin is a raisin is a raisin. . .think again. . .you'll be a raisin connoisseur as our daily paper says today if you know that there are more than Thompson seedless raisins. . .i.e. Princess (seedless) raisins, Flame Seedless raisins; golden raisins (which are just Thompson seedless treated with sulphur to retain their golden color) (I know, there's those contaminants again!!), Crimson Seedless raisins and muscat raisins. . and there are more. . . Muscat raisins can be seeded (a little crunchy when you munchy) or seedless . . there are two new seedless varieties of Muscat-Summer and Diamond. The old Alexandria muscats are seeded. And if a brown raisin isn't your wrinkle ;-), their experimenting with sulfuring Flame Seedless and Crimson Seedless to retain their 'red' color. . . Remind you of anything i.e. when all pistachios were 'red'. Anyway, just a little raisin trivia this fine day. . .it's a clear, 70 degrees with 37 degree dew point. . all in all pleasant.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Wow- who'da known? Sulfur to get the gold ones? Interesting.....I buy those at Trader Joe's sometimes.

Favorite Raisins in a recipe:
baby spinach, shredded chicken, raisins, sunflower seeds, shredded sharp cheddar, cumcumber diced, Goddess Dressing by Annie's Naturals and toss. YUM!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I'd always assumed they were all Thompson Seedless. I am way too dumb, sometimes! Should have known better.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

No way John. . I live right here in the middle of it and didn't know they dried all those kinds. Shoot. .they even have a process now called 'Dried on the vine' which they're still harvesting...Learn something (rather lots of things!) every day...LOL

BTW what's Texas and Long Beach like today? Daisy. . my grandfather used to live on Locust...

This message was edited Sep 22, 2004 12:49 PM

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Lo 64, dp 61, T 84, pc

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Its 87 now, 11% humidity, dew point is 26. Was 63 last night and was maybe 90 today although I was in hotter, windier, smogier foothill Sierra Madre so I am not sure. : ) I could see Catalina Island clear as a pin beyond the harbor cranes this morning.

Janet- I live just a few blocks from Locust! Was he downtown?

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Daisy. . it's hard to remember, but it was near Anaheim St. which makes it a little further north I think. . we're talking back in the 60's . . .

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

No- I am right off Anaheim. That is considered downtown. Funny- do y ou have pictures? It was much different then...

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

I can come up with some and scan them in. . a project for a rainy day and it doesn't look promising right now in that department. . .will see what I have and what my folks have next time I go out to the ranch.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

lol- I hear that rainy day song!

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Fall has set in for a few days now and it's still pretty much the same as usual. . had a few cool days and now it's creeping back up there again. . 94 today and 96 expected tomorrow. Harvests are continuing and the particulates and dust are accumulating again after the nice wind we had to clean the air a few days ago. Dew point is 45 degrees. Planted about 6 kinds of lettuces and salad greens today, til it got too hot to work. Brocolli, cabbage, kale, Chinese cabbage and several beans and peas are doing good. Everything has perked up since it cooled off, except the tomatoes. . think I may have picked the tail-end of those today. . a few very green ones left on vines. That's the news from the SJ Valley . .pretty quiet except for big Hot-air Balloon Fest this weekend in Clovis and the Big Fresno Fair coming up pretty quick. . .lots of fairs in the small agricultural towns around the valley right now.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Okay not that I am complaining because I am worried about all of these hurricanes too....

Just wanted to point out that it is 62 here right now (warmer than some nights) but the humidity is 93%!!! Goodness garcious! It is so wet here that when I came into the old porch (glassed in makeshift studio for me) and my windows were all open, my chair was wet!!!

Wait that isn't good for my computer is it? Oh poo I am going to have to relocate soon in an indoor room. There is no heat in here. Charcoal pencils will son get ruined too.....: (

No rain in the forecast but it can't be far away...... altho I had more than one grower point out that a mini-El Niņo is on the way and a "miņo" could be no fun.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Current temp. here 63, lo 57, dp 55, forcasted hi 86. Now that its cooler the grass will be growing like crazy again. Gotta get rid of those weeds. Won't be easy its bermuda!

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Still no rain in sight here. . .supposed to be 94 degrees today, no breezes, nothing. . . .just typical weather for the valley. . 44 degree dew point. Clear skies are something to be thankful for if you look at from the perspective of Ms. Jeanne plagued southern and eastern states and from the perspective of the farmer here. Sure makes looking at that waxing moon in a clear blue sky a pleasure each evening. Just learned that the full moon closest to the September equinox is called the 'Harvest Moon' because during the harvest, there was enough light shed from the moon during that time that they could extend their harvest into the evening hours, not just during daylight hours(before we had all the trappings of modern farm machinery!)

Daisy. . it's probably temporary. . too early to move inside yet, isn't it? Seems like when our days start to cool, you get the end of summer heat down in So. Calif. When we visit the IL in San Fernando Valley this time of the year, it's miserable. Maybe Long Beach is different, being right on the coastline.

IW2D . . good luck with the Bermuda Grass. . .We once had a cartoon we clipped out of the paper that had 3 scenes, the first was a guy digging it out with a shovel. .2nd with a bulldozer and the last was TNT in the bottom of the bulldozer hole. Hee-hee. That stuff makes a great lawn here, but heaven help you if it's in the flower beds...don't work too hard!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

It is 64, 90% humidity, dp 61 and foggy. Man I love days like these only last night the forecast said 74 now it saws 80. Yes, it will be hot yet again before this endless summer is up.

I was in the valley yesterday with crasulady2 and it was plenty hot there- probably 90 or higher and when we went out to to the west side of Topanga it was at least 95. When we got home after dark, it was 70 here - another reminder of how much cooler it is here and why they can grow better peppers than me.

John- I have something that I can send you to choke out the bermuda. Nut grass! At the very least you will have a great time watching the battle for most territory!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Love the visual of the Bermuda grass and Nut grass doing battle - I see it all done with armor and charges with lances held at the ready.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Daisy. . .did C2 help you id all those snippets of cacti and succulents you had a couple of weeks ago? I need to revisit that thread and see what you ended up with. . . I like that idea of sending John the nut grass . . LOL. . .I could add some to the troops too!! (I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy. . .but it is a devious thought.)

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Janet- yes many were IDed. In fact I need to go back and make sure I update the edits on those images! Thanks for reminding me!

I know- I wouldn't do that to John either.
(is it me or does that sound like he is my worst enemy? Cause he isn't- by far!! XOO to ya, John!!)

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

He's a real sweetie. . . posting lookout for the Jeanne hurricane people, keeping check on them and I hear it's not just Jeanne, but other storms too. . .nice to know that others are keeping track when you're goin through hard times...thanks for doing a nice thing John. .;-)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

....;-)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Earthquake Janet?

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Yeah. . .just a little tremor here. . swayed the desk a little. . . but west of here where it was centered. . shake & bake. . .6.0. . .kind of dry and deserty out there in Parkfield. . but lots of earthquake activity. . .they monitor all the time out there. . .had another 5.8 or so just a few mins. ago. . .make that 4.8. . thank goodness. .that's still a bad aftershock.

This message was edited Sep 28, 2004 10:44 AM

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Nooo- did she have a shaker this AM? Gotta go look at the list.....

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Was it right on the San Andreas fault?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.