Goldenrain Tree-chinese flame

Newport News, VA(Zone 7a)

Any comments on this tree?
Saw a picture and just
adore the look of it,
thinking about adding it to
backyard.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I have one and I like it very much. It's fast growing and it bloomed the first time this year (had it 3yrs.) Have heard it's invasive in warmer weather but I don't think that's something you or I have to worry about. The leaves are small and many and although the Japanese beetles ate the blooms they don't seem to touch the leaves!

sounds great.. tell me
does it provide shade and
how much growth can I expect
the first year? It just
looks so pretty in the
catalogs...

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, mine is still only 12 ft. tall or so but it is starting to fill out and provide some shade. The site I read on it in the warmer climates said that it provides "Dense shade" - but I have not seen that yet. I will tell you that I bought this tree from a local nursery and that it is considered a 'highway tree' here meaning it's tough. I wanted shade and a fast growing tree..

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

My little sedling is onlt 6 inches tall....lousey for shade. hehehehehe
Grow baby grow

I want alot of shade from the tree.
I must get off the fence and
decide what tree I want to plant,
someone told me, trees should be
planted no later than Oct 15th.
Maybe I'll just go with a simple
apple tree, had those growing up,
what fun climbing and sitting on a
limb eating apples...arent childhood
memories precious.....
deller

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Deller, since you live in newport news, you can safely plant trees well into the fall up to around thanksgiving time. In actuality, you can plant anytime as long as you can dig the soil. In any event, the Golden rain tree is a wonderful tree but is not going to provide the shade you want. For average growth, and excellent fall foliage, a red maple/sugar maple cultivar always comes to mind...but it is a bit common. However, the Prunus yedoensis Yoshino Cherry is a fantastic plant to consider. We planted one several years ago and are absolutely amazed at its rapid growth and excellent form, plus the wonderful pink flowers in spring. We started with a 5-7 gallon size plant that was approximately 6' tall, 1-1.5" caliper, costing between $60-$90. It's been in the ground for about 4 yrs now and is easily 20'-30' tall with a nice wide canopy, suitable for planting Hostas underneath by the second year. Talk about instant shade!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Amen!

did some research on the yoshino cherry
tree, it looks like what I'm searching
for. provides the shade and has a
beautiful canope effect, and the price
isn't bad either!!!
Sorry to say, I don't get excited about
the fall colors, and here in Va we
do have alot of brillant colors in the
fall. I love spring, summer and winter,
but fall of the year makes me sad.
thanks for knowing what I was looking for.
deller

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.