OK, Now, In One Day, the Emperor Has No Clothes????

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

This is not weather per se, but probably a consequence of our trio of Hurricanes.

We are all gardeners, so I have a question/concern to pose regarding a particular plant the day after Ivan passed through. It survived Bonnie's and Charley's rains but, for some reason, perhaps Ivan was too much????

Maybe not.

I ordered a Coral Bean bush/tree (Erythrina herbacea) from a well-respected nursery.

It came as a Y-twig, with established roots, back in the spring. Our relationship was a bit rocky at first, likely due to me, rather than the plant. But it survived my ministrations, was properly potted in the right sized pot for it's size. Over the spring and summer, it has gradually grown to about 15" in height, with healthy leaves, which easily survived our routine T-storms. It is reported to be native to this area.

My plans were to nurture it to a size large enough to plant in our "back wooded lot," providing sufficient food and water to become established. Growth was going pretty much as planned. Until one day, after Ivan left us.

While checking on everything's status in my garden, I was dismayed to see that this previously thriving plant had lost not only all its perfectly healthy-looking leaves, it had also lost the Y- branch. Now it is a pathetic, 15" stem, still green at this point, but totally naked.

The mystery for me is that all the healthy leaves are on the ground beneath it, totally intact. No wilting, no degradation, no bites, no chewing, just stripped from the main branch. The Y-branch was still attached tenuously, but no longer a viable part of the plant. We have deer and rabbits, but they bite off the leaves and eat them, not leave all of them perfect laying on the ground.

There was no leaf damage at all. No holes, no residue of any attack on the leaves, just no longer attached to the plant. I noted two small fallen tree twigs in the near area, but neither would have stripped the leaves from the whole plant.

I really would like to save this plant. The one very small main stem is still green, but has no leaves to provide sustenance to the roots. It is reported to be semi-deciduous, but our trees/shrubs have not shed leaves yet.

The big question is, is there anything I can do to help it survive? Should I bring it in during cold weather? At what temperature?

I am really trying to grow plants native to this area, and this is one of them. I am aware of the potential problems, but do not feel that it will be a problem, given my brown thumb. LOL If it should present a problem in the future, I will remove it by whatever means necessary.

Can anyone Help!!!!! Perhaps some of you are familiar with this shrub/tree in your area and can advise me.

Thanks! This may not be the proper forum for this question, but I thought that fellow-hurricane surviving gardeners might have recommendations.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Judith,
My thoughts would be to just leave it be as it is. I have managed to neglect the Erythrina I have growing. I don't know which one..it is scraggly and has been in a pot for over 2 years...I've been meaning to plant it, just never found the right spot..lol..
It has amazed me with the way it bounces back from my abuse. Mine has also been down to just a stick and it is still going strong...
Perhaps posting in the tropicals forum would help also. I am thinking that since it is a native tree for you, it is pretty tough...

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Lisa! I'll probably do just that. Nothing to lose, for sure! It was just so weird that all it's leaves fell off in one day, leaving it stripped bare, with no indication of cause.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

it was shakin' in its roots 'cause yall had to many hurricanes...

methinks i'd loose my leaves too... ;0)

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

In places as cold as zone 7 (approximately) Erythrina herbacea will freeze to the ground every winter and then grow back in the the spring. If the roots are still o.k. on your plant, it should grow back. (I have no personal experience with this, but that's what I've read.)

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

All that rain may have killed off all the root hairs which would make it hard for it to take up enough moisture to support all the leaves. Unless a root rot sets in, the root hairs will regenerate as the soil gets some oxygen into it and growth should resume after that.

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Thanks, all, so much for the encouragement! It's still green, and it may be only wishful thinking, but it looks like it might be just barely trying to green out right at the top. That would make sense. I guess if it does make it, it will be more of the "tree" variety! LOL

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

There's always hope. Yep, you're a gardener.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.