tin beds

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Can you frame a raised bed using used tin? will it get too hot? Should it be painted? I think I would paint it just to improve the looks. We just replaced the tin on our old house(1925) so we have lots of tin. We built a shed out of most of it. I thought about cutting the 2 x 10 feet tin in half long ways to make them 1 x 10 and holding them in place with rebar.
what do ya think??????????

Cricket

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

oh yeh------have to show off new roof while im at it.
cricket

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

I have no idea if it can be done, but for what it's worth it sounds good to me! You might check with someone who's familiar with the stuff to see how close you'd need to place the rebar for support, and how many inches underground you'd need to have the tin. And as for paint I think I'd leave it bare--no, maybe I'd paint it a soft yellow to match the house. Either way I think it would be cute, but that's because I sometimes like an "industrial" look to things that are not supposed to be industrial. Corrugated tin with rusty rebar as a planter could actually be quite a striking base for lush plants. But that might not be what you had in mind! LOL

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I been thinking about that. I am still thinking about it.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Heat will be somewhat of a problem but I don't see it as being any worse than plastic. I have a bed made from old vinyl trailer skirting. I don't think it needs to be buried at all. That could lead to faster corrosion and that will end any underground use anyway. I just use wood stakes every 18" or so to hold it up. Best wishes on the new beds. Congratulatons on the new roof.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

And if you do use rusted rebar - better toss in some tomatoes! I've read that the rust is good for tomatoes, and I had some of the best and biggest tomatoes since I started using rusted fence posts as stakes.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

should be a natural.. I'd paint it like the roof.. should be able to stand it up and pound rebar into the ground every 16 " or so on the front of it.. the dirt will exert pressure and push to it.. you might getthe grinder out you cut it wit h.. and have a few slits to release water and get it to drain fast... the heat you can work in your favor.. go for sometropicals anad watch for more blooms... Gordon

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Sequee-----whats in the rust that tomatoes like? Iron?

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

im not sure now , buying all that rebar makes me think twice.
hmmm.
Now that i think about all the comments, I rather buy landscape tember and forget the tin.
Thank yall for all your comments.
I will just use the tin to build me a garden shed.

cricket

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I honestly don't remember - I read it somewhere last Spring, and that reminded me of my grandfather putting rusty nails in his garden bed, many, many (many!) years ago!

I'm sure I will find the article (?) once the chill sets in and I tackle my books, mags, etc. again. I will post it when I find it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.