Scarlet Runner Bean

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

So when can one harvest the bean pods? I have harvested a acouple that were very dry and brown, but that was before the weather changed to cold and wet. I'm afraid the remainder of the pods wil rot on the vine if not picked soon....but I am not sure the beans will ripen if not left on the vine.
Is this hopeless???

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Are any of them well formed? If they are and they look as if they have grown all they will and have just began to turn a hint of brown I have pulled them and let them air dry. The germination rate was about 70/30 or little better. So thats better than letting them all go........What ya got to lose at this point Riker
:o) and if you have a bunch I would take some off your hands....... :o)
Dee

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Here's a quick pic of some of the pods. So what do you think.....can I pick them and let them air dry?
If I get a few extra Dee I'd be more than happy to send you some.

Thumbnail by RikerBear
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

You risk the beans not being ready, and still being green.
I would wait until the pod dries and turns tan.
-seedpicker_TX

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

As I mentioned in the earlier post....the weather is now very cool and wet, with nothing but more of the same in the forecast. I fear they will not get the chance to mature on the vine.
Guess I'll pick a few and leave a few and see what happens.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I would pick some of the ones that are well formed and hope for the best. As you said the weather is only getting worst and you will lose them anyway. So try it and see what happens.
Dee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.