How can this happen?? Mystery of a Rose of Sharon.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Why would my double white Rose of Sharon have a few 'Ruby' blooms on the end of one branch?

Thumbnail by boojum
Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Looking gorgeous.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Hi Boojum, like your handle. May be she's the family rebel. I've no idea how that'd happen but shure is pretty.

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

The white one may have originally been a sport of a ruby. Sports (mutated or "different" growth on a normal plant) sometimes revert back to normal.

Aha. I was thinking it might have been grafted but never heard of grafting a ROS. The sport theory seems much more likely. Thanks, Agrinerd!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

really cool though!!!!!!

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

It may be a rooted cutting.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

think your plant's been messing around *LOL* maybe that was the original color

My ROS messing around. NEVER!!

But seriously folks,
It's odd cause this ROS is well established and was on the property when we got here. It must be 9-10' tall and has hundreds of double white blooms. Last year it bloomed all white without incident. Then this year it had 3 rose blooms!
I can only think it was a sport of Ruby, as Agrinerd suggested.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

It's pretty common for ROS to bloom a different color on a different branch. I'm with the sport theory too.

The double white wouldn't be something that would come true from a seed, so it would have to be a sport at some point. Most likely taken from the Ruby tree as suggested. If you planted the seeds from this plant, chances are, you'd get a whole field full of different ROS shrubs.

Really???? I better collect some seeds!!!

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

...IF you're lucky enough to get seeds. A lot of ROS cultivars are sterile triploids, buy since this is a sport, that may have changed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.