Best way to cut down a small tree and keep it gone?

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

I have 2 semi-dwarf apple trees I planted 5-6 years ago. They are nothing but trouble - disease and bug prone - and I am not into spraying poison all over the place, especially on something I'd planned to eat! I'm pretty sure I could saw through the trunks, which are about the size of 2 wrists together. What I need to know is, how to keep them gone - that is, to eliminate the sprouts from the root zone and stump. Do I need to have the stumps ground? Or is there another way?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Eileen

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

You can treat the FRESHLY CUT stump(s) with full-strength round up to kill the roots. You need to make sure that you do this IMMEDIATELY after you cut the stumps or the round up won't be effective (the cut surface should not be allowed to dry and seal itself (heal) before applying the round up).

Treat the edges of the newly cut trunk since that's where the cambium layer is (the part of the tree that's alive and growing). The center of the trunk is old wood and doesn't need to be treated.

The easiest way to apply the round up is to pour a small amount into a disposable plastic cup and then use a small foam brush to apply the round up. You may need to re-apply the round up several times to finally kill the roots.

I would wait until next spring before cutting the trees down. Since fall is almost here the trees are preparing for dormancy and will be moving food reserves to the roots in preparation for winter. I would wait until late spring when the trees have leafed out and have moved all of the sap out of their roots. If you cut the trees down now the roots will have lots of stored energy and it will make it 10 times (100 times?) harder to kill the root system.
Good luck,
Mike

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

Ooohh, good call. I'm glad I didn't tackle this before asking. I will wait for spring and follow directions,

Thanks very much, Eileen

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

Just to add, I might even wait until after the first big growth spurt when spring comes. If you cut before then, it will have all of that stored strength to fight back. If you wait till after, it's spent (to some degree) and more susceptible to being killed. Sounds logical, anyhow!

Cleveland, OH

I don't know, I've had great success treating stumps in this fashion in fall. Tree lover stated : "Since fall is almost here the trees are preparing for dormancy and will be moving food reserves to the roots in preparation for winter." In the process of moving the food reserves (which there won't be if you cut the tree) the roundup is also translocated equally fast to the roots thus doing them in!

Fall or spring Tree lover's method works great!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.