Whice variety of Japanese Maple is best?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I would like one to stay fairly small. Are they all about the same size? I like the thin leaved one. Anyone have any input.
Thanks
Teresa

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Hoping someone will respond to this...as I would like to know as well.
Deb

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

One of my favorite is Acer "Shaina" . This dwarf maple only grows to about 5 feet, and less if kept in a patio pot.
Great color Spring , Summer , and Fall.

RikerBear

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, Riker
Is this the thin leaf variety. I really have my heart set on it. Wonder how large it would grow if I plant it in my garden?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

The leaf is not a lace leaf, but it is a thin leaf. My "Shaina" is probably 40 years old, and is only 4 1/2 to 5 ft tall and about that big around as well.
Just do a Google search if you want more info...............here's one link I found for you.

http://www.stratsplace.com/gardendiary/acer_shaina.html

Hubbard, OR(Zone 8a)

My favorite maple is:

ACER PALMATUM DISSECTUM 'BABY LACE'

The foliage is very fine and the color is great.

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

Which is best? LOL, you might as well as "what's everyone's favorite color"! There are so many different ones, and likely everyone is going to like a different one. Personally, I like the thread-leaved kind (Koto No Ito) as well as the small leaved kinds (Kamagata, Kiyohime).

Just to research, you can find numerous sellers with good selections on eBay. Also, World Plant Shop, aka, Trans-Pacific Nursery (http://www.worldplants.com/) also has a good sight with many descriptions. (by the way, I've ordered from them and been very happy - but you have to catch them early in the year. Most of their maples are sold out already)

It all depends on what you like!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks, I will check out the website. I didn't have a clue there are so many.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Carter is right, there are many choices. I prefer the palmatum dissectum leaf because it is so fine, but in the last few years I've seen far too many red ones (I had Crimson Queen) so I think my next will be a green or maybe a variegated acer palmatum.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, Darius
I live near a small family nursery. He has wonderful prices on his J. maples. I not sure if he has many varieties. Do you have your in the ground or pots?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I have none now. The two I had were in the ground at my old house in Asheville. the sales contract called for me to go back and get some plants (including one of the Jap Maples) this past spring but the Buyer wouldn't let me on the property. Wasn't worth a lawsuit, especially as I had no place to put them here.

My good friend here, also in zone 6b, has 3-4 in whiskey barrel halves and they survive fine. They are in a somewhat sheltered area, though.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

It really is hard to give advice about a 'best' Japanese maple: I just looked and one nursery, Mt. Maples, lists 280 varieties of Acer palmatum, every last one of which I'd love to have in my garden, but even those of us who have these trees usually grow half a dozen or so. That being said, I LOVE Red Dragon, a slow-growing, small (6 ft. max.) slightly weeping red fern leaf, and for green, Baldsmith, or Orangeola, which at this stage look very similar to me in my garden and I think get up to 10 ft. or so. Orange Dream is getting rave reviews, but it's a small leaf.
Don

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

One of my favourite red-leaved dissected weeping types is 'Red Dragon', pictured in my garden below. It will stay below 6 feet, even lower is grafted at a lower height. Another tough look-alike is 'Inabare Shidare'. The later is the standard in small red-leaved weepers here in Newfoundland nurseries.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Todd, if THAT doesn't sell Red Dragon, I don't know what will; gorgeous plant! I've got one planted next to a chartreuse leafed Frisia locust (subtlety is not my strong suit).You're pretty snowy there; do you have trouble with snow damage on your weepers?
Don

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Don, believe it or not, 4 years ago that maple was left with just a stump as every last branches was sheared off by melting snow. On the day I was getting around to removing the stump, I noticed little buds sprouting from it. 4 years later it is as good as new, albeit, 2 feet shorter than it once was. Maples are weeds! Now I build a cloche around it for the winter. I have 6 other jap maples, but they are uprights and the snow does little damage.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

That is a very unique looking plant/tree.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I didn't realize Red Dragon was so "weepy"; both of mine are high grafts and so much more tree-like. Japanese maples are like potato chips; very addictive once you start on them.
Don

This message was edited Oct 1, 2004 12:29 PM

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I love that Mt. Maples catalog, but they don't list zones. Sure wish they did! Do you guys know what zone 'Red Dragon' is hardy to?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Canadian Zobe 5b....of the ones I and friends have tried, we find 'Red Dragon' to be one of the toughest...ranks up there with 'Bloodgood' and 'Atropurpureum'.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Todd. I'm a little colder. Wonder if I dare take a chance on it? hmmmmmm

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I grow Red Dragon in Iowa City, 5a, with no protection. Here's another link with hardiness zones:
Don

http://www.japanesemaples.com/catalog/index.php?id=2&page=5

San Jose, CA

That picture of Red Dragon is just gorgeous.

I love my thread leaf maples--Crimson Queen and one green one (forgot name)--but I find that the edges of the leaves burn during the summer. Does anyone know what causes this? I have them in plenty of shade.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The thread-leaved Jap maples are very prone to leaf edge burn. It can be caused by too dry, too much wind, too much fertilizer or too much sun. Sun does not seem to be your problem, so perhaps it is a little too dry in your area.

San Jose, CA

I give them lots of water, but the air is probably too dry for them. We have very low humidity. I don't think I've ever fertilized them, since I don't know what to use on them.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Low humidity is probably the culprit. In Japan, the humidy is usually moderate and certainly, in newfoundland we are humid and they do fine. They look good in vancouver and Victoria, BC, and they have a hunid climate as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.