my clematis tower

Auburn Hills, MI(Zone 6a)

I found an old wooden jungle gym, and took off parts and now I have some of my clematis on,, I do need to add more to make it more WOW

Thumbnail by cacolos
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Very pretty! I just love clematis. And a clever idea with the old jungle gym too!

it was in a field behind my house, I got my dad to help, we move it,, removed the bees nest and i made the new bed last year,, i have about 7 clematis on it now, but its so huge i need a ton more to cover it

here is antoher pic of it,, earlier this summer

Thumbnail by cacolos
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Well I sure think it is gonna be lovely when it is fully covered! I can hardly wait until the first of the year so I can go clematis shopping at Wal Mart. LOL I have found so many there & I can get the plants as cheap as the tubers.
Kind of sad, huh? That I can get that excited over clematis. hehehe

I love them,, they are just so happy,, here is one i have in the front,, i have about 20 kinds all over,,

Thumbnail by cacolos
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

ooooh, I just love those, they look like fairy caps! I have one that looks like yours that I just got this year, I am hoping to find the pink next year. Very pretty!
So hello fellow clematis addict, my name is Donna. ;~)

hi Donna I'm Cheryle,, I'm verry verrrrrry addicted,,, clematis, hosta, days, herbs,, and tons of other pretties,,,

here is one of my doubles i got for my birthday this year..

Thumbnail by cacolos
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

oh, that is really nice! Do all the blooms come out double? I ask because I bought the piilu this year (no blooms yet) but I have since been reading that not all the blooms are double. And since that is my first & only double, I have no idea if that is normal.
Oh, look at my latest bloom.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/423531/
I just added it to my nellie moser post, so you will have to scroll down to September 9th, but it is sooooo bright & pretty!
Donna

donna,

it depends,, some fist bloom is single and the rest are doubles,, and some come out doubles,,, most I have do single then double,, but I think next year they will stable out as I just got them this year,,

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Well thats interesting. I wonder why that happens? I will have to keep a log of mine and see if there is a pattern.

some do and some dont, i think it has a lot to do with what one it is and where your at,, having bad winters could have something to do with it,, like my multi blue blooms single first then double

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

cacolos-
what is the variegated plant on there(second photo, bottom left) with the neat leaves????
-seedpicker_TX

that is porcelian lace vine,, i had to home for it yet so i stuck on there last year,, i love it,,its just to over powering for the clematis,, i need to move it in the spring..

but i loved the leaves so i had to get it,, but the clematis dont seem to mind it,, they still bloom and go everywhere..

cheryle

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I thought so! lol...
If you had a variegated clematis that looked like that, I wanted to know what it was and where you got it! lol...
-seedpicker_TX

I wish I did !!! beleive me !!! that would be way cool

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't remember seeing a variegated clematis. Is there one? no, don't tell me. LOL

i'm sure there is,, I think there is one in my book, I will have to see, but I bet its very $$$$ price !! but I would love to have

let me see if I have a better pic,,,

well its not of the tower its the smaller tower in the front,,,

Thumbnail by cacolos

here is another one on the tower,,

Thumbnail by cacolos
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

What a wonderful way to recycle a wooden gym tower! Your Clematis are beautiful! How many different varieties do you have growing on this one tower?

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

How very pretty!

Absolutely lovely clematis, I just love the colour.

shirley1md,

I have about 10 I think,, I do have an unknown vine in there that is going to be moved in the spring and the porcilan lace vine will also be moved to its own home,, I had no place to stick them at the time now I do , so they will be moved out so I can add more clematis

thanks ceedub

I love clematis !!

Can I show off mine too? Aw heck, I'll show it off anyway...lol

Thumbnail by

Wow, that must be a beautiful sight when they are in bloom!

Which ones are they?

I was afraid someone would ask me that ...lol. I can't find the tags; they're in the house somewhere, which is in a state of turmoil right now as our den had to be turned into a bedroom for about a year. They're in one of those boxes; I've dug through the boxes and cannot find any plant tags, but I know they're there, just out of my reach...

Two of my favorite colors.......purple & pink. Is the purple one "Jackmanii" or "Etoile Violette"? Taking a stab at it without a close-up.

Is this close enough? - the pink one

Thumbnail by

the purple one I don't have a real close up of, but this one's much closer. Can you tell? Thanks.

Thumbnail by

It's not easy to guess since there are so many similarities between cultivars.

Have you tried using this website?

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/clemalphasearch.cfm

What a great site! I can't believe how many varieties of clematis there are. I'll let you know what my research produces. Thanks very much.

very pretty !! yes there is a lot of them out there,, i have a list of what i have somewhere,, I love them !! they are so happy and pretty..

You're so right cacolos, they are happy and pretty. Every clematis flower I met meets that description. A nursery I deal with has a resident male cat, who's name is Clem....; bears little resemblance to pretty, but is a very happy cat... I'm up to "C" on that site ... long way to go but seeing some extremely lovely flowers!

my goal is to get as many as I can,, and just keep collecting and collecting,,, they are great and once established they do great,, but I have lost some to bad winters,, so I just get more the next year,,, I want my tower to be packed full of blooms !! I like the WOW look !! ,,, but each one has thier own happiness to them,,

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

I just took cuttings off all my clematis(s). Within 3-4 days I had white nobs coming threw. I guess these will work if placed in soil and kept threw winter inside?
Ingird

I don't know, but I do know that when they come up in the spring, they grow like crazy, so I don't see why that wouldn't work.

ingrid,

they should be fine, just make sure they stay moist, get plenty of air ( so the soil dont mold) and keep in warm sunny location,, i have been doing the layering in the soil and so far I have had 3 root,, i just lay the vine under dirt and it roots,, then cut from main plant and you get more,, easier to root and you dont have as many issue as regular cuttings

cheryle

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

Thanks, Cheryle-for tips,
Best regards, Ingrid

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.