Sweet Autumn Clematis

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

My favorite Clematis and what a show it puts on!

Thumbnail by Cottage_Rose

Another view with Virginia Creeper Vine in the background with its red Fall foliage.

That's so lovely Rose!!! Thanks for sharing your shots; I just love clematis.

Centerville, TN(Zone 7b)

Cottage Rose, your Clematis is wonderful. I nursed mine along for years in shade and finally moved it into some sun and it bloomed this year but not as prolifically as yours. What do you do for it?

Thanks ceedub :)

Cowlun
I don't do anything with it. I don't even fertilize it.
Try giving it another year to settle in to its new spot.

Mine's a good bloomer too, (not like Rose's though!), and this was its second summer. I have it on the north wall of my house, that I think leans just a bit to the west, so gets direct sun, but later in the afternoon. A friend of mine told me that at the end of the season remove the foliage from the trellis, place it tightly wound over base of plant, and cover with soil. This provides new mulch for the plant each year and works well for mine. My mother disagrees saying that clematis "like cold feet" and that means you never mulch it. Who knows who's right if each method works for that person's garden?

cd
Your Mom is right in a way. Clematis like full sun on the vine and "cool" mulched base as in keep the base mulched during the growing season. This one is growing right out of grass believe it or not. It would probably be bigger if I weeded and mulched it. Mine dies back to the ground every winter in Z5 and I don't do any special winterizing. It would be impossible for me to un-twine this vine from the fence. It seems to vary year to year on how much it blooms just like most other flowering plants. When the winter was real bad 2 years ago it barely had any blossoms but this year its covered with buds and flowers.

Kingston, NY

hmm i think that i have this same plant but no bloom for two years lots of leaves and is a perfect spot was thinking of pulling it this year it is called wilsons anemone clematis and was purchased from monrovia any suggestions thanks

How much sun is it getting?
Are you possibly over fertilizing it?

Kingston, NY

yes i have been fertilizing alot i know it gets just the right amount of sun but i might have overfertilized how much is tooooooo much and would that produce leaves and no flowering and i did use a fertilizer to boost bloom

I'm not sure whats going on. I know sometimes too much nitrogen will produce alot of foliage and no flowers.
Sorry, I don't know what else to tell you.

Heres SAC with more of the blossoms open.
The above photo was when it first started opening.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Yummm I can lmost smell it from here. Beautiful photo. TNX

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow, that is gorgeous. I have not seen a Clematis like that before.

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

Convinced me! I'm going to get some seeds in the ground right away!!!
That's just gorgeous!

You won't be disappointed...well unless Clematis don't like Fort Worth weather. ;)

Battle Ground, WA(Zone 8a)

Is this Clematis Terniflora?

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

thoise blossoms are amazing, and like Cajun2 I want to plant some seeds right now, if I can find some

billr
Its "Sweet Autumn Clematis"

Battle Ground, WA(Zone 8a)

Understood, Rose, but I have seen in a variety of magazines the two names as being synonymous. Are you saying they aren't, that there is a distinction between the two? If so, what is is? Thanks!

billr, sorry can't help you on that since I don't know.

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

Just my two cents' here... but I'm 90% sure that Sweet Autumn Clematis is in fact the common name for the Clematis terniflora.
http://davesgarden.com/pdb/search.php?search_text=sweet+autumn+clematis

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

its a weed on my hill it taking over but it smells good

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Isn't it funny how the same plant can go weedy in one area like Tazzy says and be really hard to grow in another... I know it does well here in Moab where it freezes every winter and I've never seen anybody try to get it off their chain link fence, instead it seems to use last years twiggies to hook this years growth onto.

This was already on my list CottageRose - combining it with the Virginia Creeper is inspiration. will copy. TNX

BWAV
You're welcome! :))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.