Crepe myrtle

Danville, VA(Zone 7b)

I've got some pods, just not sure how to get them started. Any help would be very much appreciated.

You might want to consider winter sowing these. Soak the Lagerstroemia indica seeds for three days and drain and add fresh water every day. After that, wrap them up in a damp paper towel and place them in a ziplock baggie until sometime the beginning of December. I then used SOLO cups. I drilled tiny holes in the bottom for drainage. I filled the cups with Schultz's moisture plus. Plopped a seed in each little cup and ever so lightly covered them. I put a little bit of shrink wrap over the top and wrapped a rubber band around it to keep in the moisture and that was that. I think I only added moisture twice through winter. When spring came, I took off the Reynolds wrap and placed my little SOLO cups outside and 8 out of 10 germinated. I think there may have been a straggler which would have been #9 but I don't have my notes in front of me. Sounds like fun for you! Best wishes to you.

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

I winter sowed crepe myrtle last year with great success. My method is a little simpler, though, and they still germinate fine.

My favorite container for winter sowing is a milk jug. Taking a cordless drill I drill about 5-6 decent sized holes in the bottom of the jug. I cut it starting at the base of the handle, and cut all the way around to the handle on the other side, keeping it the top hinged at the handle. Then I go ahead and add my potting soil, nothing fancy, sow my seeds, insert a blind marker to mark the seedlings when I set them out later, cover according to seed size and requirement, and pour enough water into the soil to moisten it well. Then using clear tape, I tape it back together, mark on the jug what is in it, and put it outside directly into the snowbank. Leave the cover off. Add moisture if it drys out too much, and in the spring you will have seedlings. The seedlings can be pricked out and potted if you wish, or grown on till fall in the jug, till they are ready to set in the ground. I do over a hundred of these jugs each winter, and have so many seedlings I give them away all summer! Legit

Danville, VA(Zone 7b)

Equilibrium,Legit- Thanks for the info. I guess I'll try both ways , to see which way works the best down here in Va. Do either of ya'll know anything about planting money plant seeds. I was told to plant them on top of soil. I planted 4 seeds that way and had no luck. Don't have too many seeds left.

A neighbor just gave me money plant seeds. I have never tried to germinate them before so maybe somebody will provide tips. I sort of hope I can get a few to take off as they look like they would be great in dried flower arrangements.

About the SOLO cups, I used a permanent marker to write what I had planted on the outside of cup but that was a pain as I kept forgetting to do it until after I had filled it with soil. I like legit's idea of the milk jugs better as you aren't going to be forced to transplant them right away in spring if you run out of time or energy. Their roots can get bound up in a SOLO cup real fast which isn't the greatest for your plants..

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

I have to tell you, I started the money plants the same way! I usually cover according to seed size, and they are very thin , so they don't go very deep. They do self-sow for me here, so err on the side of barely covering them. Now you wonder why if I have them self-sowing, why do I start more. Two reasons, addiction, and secondly I have a yearly plant sale, and third, I received seed for a variegated variety, and a white variety, and of course I need to try them all.......like I said, addiction!

I would like to say though, that a permanent "sharpie" is OK for the jugs, because one season, and you throw them away. But if you are thinking of using the blind markers inside, better use a Paint Marker. I use DecoColor, but I think there is many other brands, just be sure it's an actual PAINT marker, or you will come out one spring to nice white markers!! Been There, done that!! I think a very soft Pencil works also. And yes, it's September, and I still have plants in the jug bottoms, I just cut the tops off after they are a nice size, and grow on in the bottom of the jug. They are very strong and hearty! Legit

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.