Hurricane Jeanne

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Pati, you watching? Looks like maybe south FL may get brushed by this... hopefully it will fizzle rather than gaining strength.

Thumbnail by darius
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Or go NE and leave Dodge?

John, I'm thinking it's more likely to skirt FL, at least up to Jax. My brother in Jax thinks they will get it, but SC/NC coastal areas could get more rain and even the storm if it remains a storm.

Like they need more rain.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

It looks that way but, one can hope!

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Why am I not surprised to find Darius and IW2D jumping right on this new storm? LOL.Just to add to the excitement, a VERY strong wave just came off the coast of Africa!

Darius how's the tooth? Please tell me what county you live in.

My theme song for the duration of hurricane season is "Hang on Sloopy" Hey, it's not too original, but at this point it's either laugh or cry!!!!!

John, you have become a faithful companion. I seem to find you everywhere. Thanks so much. After this we should get together and sing a few verses of "Thanks for the Memory"
Pati

Pati, I am in Clay County to the west/southwest of Franklin. The next (and only) county west is Cherokee, bordering TN. Even though it doesn't look that way, it seems we are on the TN side of the central line of the Appalachians. I also border Towns County GA about 8 miles south of here. Nantahala Lake is above me and the Nantahala Gorge is about 35-40 miles NW.

Looks like more rain from Ivan on our side, but who knows? I just hope flooding doesn't wipe out the low bridge near here on the only road out so I can get out and go to the KYRU next week. I need to go secure my big pots so they don't wash down to the lake.

My tooth is terrible, but just off and on. I had an appt. @ 11 this am but cancelled it (bad upset stomach, combination of ibuprefen, tylenol and scotch on a generally tender stomach) and re-scheduled for 9am tomorrow, providing we have power.

I REALLY didn't need to know about yet another strong wave off Africa. My nerves are shot already and I don't even live in Florida anymore. 'Course I still have about 30-40 family members there, plus all my DG friends.

Speaking of which, Yes John (IW2D) has been a faithful companion with us on these storms.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Aw, shucks.

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Hello All,
I am in Fort Lauderdale. Getting ready for yet another Hurricane.
I have been here almost 20 years and cannot remember anything like this season - every time we turn around there is a storm heading in our general direction. I am starting to feel like I live in a bowling alley for hurricanes. I just moved into a new home and have not lived here a day without shutters. Our shutters are still up from Frances. I just hope Jeanne stay a category 1 or lower. No more - please NO MORE! My nerves cannot take it.

praying for Jeanne to fizzle out...

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

A bowling alley would be mild compared to the hurricane alley you 'are' in.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Hey John,y ou just started a new saying...hurricane alley!

Settle down now SQUEAKY, (arm around shoulder, patting on your back) I think all of us are joining you in that prayer. It's a shame you haven't had a chance to enjoy your new home in daylight! I know the feeling...we are still boarded up from Frances also.

My son flew in from his job in New Mexico to board up the house and wouldn't go back because of the uncertainy of Ivan. Now he just changed his ticket again because of Jeanne.

He took the board off the window by my computer so I didn't go completely bonkers! *grin* Of course it looks directly out on our huge brushpile, but I can see all the various and unfamiliar trucks from different states go by. LOL The busy squirrels in the Oak tree and the lizards on the screen provide welcome intertainment, and a break from the Weather Channel.

Stay in touch, we'll all walk through this one together.
Pati

I find it intersting the FSU Superemsemble puts Jeanne further west of all the other models in 5 days. That note is buried down in the body of this text: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT1+shtml/161506.shtml?

Darius, you REALLY live on the backside of nowhere! LOL (but isn't it beautiful). Girl, you better get that tooth fixed! Sorry about your tummy, I think it was the Scotch....now Gin would have been my choice! Nothing like a Gin Gimlet to sooth a troubled tooth.

I love the name Hurricane Alley, and I'll tell you right up front I'd rather live here than in Tornado Alley!

Hi Weeds, shopping for a new storm? LOL. BTW, they just lifted our all night curfew here so we must be making progress!

Darius., I saw that too in the "discussion" this morning. Just kinda' skimmed past it looking for the GOOD news! Jeanne sure is a wet one. Puerta Rico got drowned. Reading the E-mail on the Caribbean Circuit, the typest said it had rained 1.5" while he was typing his post!

God has answered many prayers here. We haven't had a drop of rain since Frances cleared the west coast. We need it badly because of the heat, but the people with damaged roofs are so grateful.

Pati

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

A shot of Jack Daniels works best cuz you will be concentrating so hard on getting rid of the taste!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

That is like when my son was a baby and teething.....my pediatrician told me to pour a shot of rum and dip my finger in and rub on his gums. Then drink the shot.....needless to say, I followed his advice.

LOL weeds. I was on a late night flight that had a really fussy baby, and a tired haggard young mother. The stewardess came and took the baby and said she would hold him for awhile to releave the mother. I was sitting by her station and saw her take Bailey's Irish Cream, dip her finger in it and rub his gums. She realized I was looking and said this was an old stewardess trick that had been used for years. Since this is one of my favorites, I was tempted to complain of a toothache, but wasn't sure it would work. LOL
Pati

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Well, James Beamer works for me! Eases pain, relaxes aching muscles and painful joints, and enhances the effect of .......I'd better not post that here.

I totally sympathize with the "relative newbies" to this area of the country. But I also empathize with us "old veteranss" of bad weather here. I'd say, depending on your own potential threat and circumstances, make your own decision when the time is right. But you have to live with the consequences of the decision you make. I generally choose to ride it out, but I'm a bit inland.

I think, if you choose to enjoy the coast properties, you have to consider the potential threat. I mean, if you build a pier out into the Gulf of Mexico, realistically, you can't expect it to survive the usual storms here forever. It's temporary. Coastlines are wonderful places to live, but it's unrealistic to expect the ocean not to reclaim what it feels is it's own area. We have to be prepared to deal with that. That's the reality of enjoying the wonderful years of coastal living. But I'm probably just an old F**t that's experienced a lot in my lifetime, sorta deja vue.

If I was young, I'd probably risk it too! Living directly on the coastal areas is definitely beautiful and wonderful!

Amen to all of that, Judith. Us old F**ts have learned enough of life's lessons to weigh the consequences and make our decisions.
Pati

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Usually the hard way.

Zephyrhills, FL

This picture is so funny!! I sure have my fair share stacked in my garage!!

Thumbnail by tampasal
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I wonder how many trees it took to board up Florida this year?

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

The latest on Jeane and #12

http://hurricanetrack.com/

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

It probably didn't take anymore trees this year to board up FL as the tall pines that the same storms have felled in GA! LOL Maybe that's why GA grows so many pine trees! Plus, there are all these huge majestic old oaks that have gone down here in FL. Such a loss!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

This thread has sure gotten quiet.

Well John, I don't know about you, but I'm just plumb tuckered out. Fell asleep in the recliner, now I'm going to bed. Heat index was 96 today and I stayed out in it too long trying to haul my poor plants out. Not many left. We haven't had a drop of rain since Frances cleared the west coast. Good for leaking roofs, bad for plants.

I see we are back in the cone .Too sleepy to worry about it tonight. As Scarlett O'hara always said, "Tomorrow is another day"
Pati

Auburn Hills, MI(Zone 6a)

FL might be safe from this one !!!

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm11/projectedpath_large.html?from=home

I hope so !!

how many days till this season is over ??

take care everyone !!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Isn't that cool? The other one, Karl, is supposed fizzle out soon! Good news!!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

darius are you okay? Has anyone seen a post from her? She only has one road out and no power!?! Should we send the calvary?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I hope she can make it to KYRU. We had planned on taking the kids to Orange Beach for Fall Break. After all this we are thinking of S.C. but Jeane is on the way. I hope it loses its strength. This is the worst I can remember!

nope have not seen her but she might not have power..

Darius is in Clay County, two counties over from Macon County (Franklin, NC) where it seems they had a bad mudslide and much damage. I'm sure she's going to be without power for a while yet, much heavier damage east of her. As far as I have been able to tell, there were no tornados in that area. Still trying to get info from family and friends in Henderson/Buncombe/Transylvania counties.
Prayers and hope,
Pati

Just saw this: UPDATED- 12 a.m. Saturday
The N.C. Department of Transportation said nearly 200 primary and secondary roads were impassable in western counties as of 11 p.m. Friday night.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2004 8:11 AM

my aunts is in cherokee ,NC and they have to move to higher ground, the local officals asked them to move as they are right on the river and still have not heard how they are doing yet,,

mudslides are horrible there!!

prayers and thoughts are with everyone

cheryle

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Has anyone heard from Sweet Pea? She sounded so down and sick her last post.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Nothing from Rylaff yet? Just starting thru the threads. late this morning.

I know just about where she is, thats why I mentioned sending the calvary. I was fortunate to help build the (at that time), worlds largest wind turbine generator in 1980 on the top of Howard's Knob right out of Boone,N.C.
She is truly in my prayers along with all our east Fla, Ala, and Ga friends. Pray for no harm and no garden carnage too.

Dont know where to look for Sweet Pea.

Looks like KOW Jeanne is not too strong and staying away. Like I say KOW. (and pray some more)

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

nothing yet :-(
nor from darius....

:(

chefnl,
Jean does suffer from serious headaches. I know she had one and was trying to fight it. I do have her on my buddy list and saw she was on line yesterday.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I located Niceville (rylaff) and Navarre (bugfreak) on Map Quest. Both communities are right on the Gulf and would have experienced the worst part of Ivan. Could be awhile before we hear from them I suppose.

IW2D where in Tex is Gordonville? Is it ever in huuricane danger? I wonder who names these anyway, they should only "peaceful" names.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Gordonville is about 90 miles due north of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex on the Texas-Oklahoma border. I'm guessing the population to be about 100, give or take. We actually live in its suburbs. (LOL) It has a post office and a mom & pop country store.

We are never in hurricane danger. We are, however, in "tornado alley."

John

ed. to say a peaceful name for a hurricane would be an oxymoron wouldn't it? :-)

This message was edited Sep 18, 2004 5:00 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.