maiden hair fern

Opelika, AL(Zone 8b)

I am new to the site, Hello, and not quite sure how all of this works, but I am learning. I have been searching for what I know as a Maiden Hair Fern. It has the deep black stems, and very dainty leaves that resemble a Ginko leaf. I live in a fairly small town in Alabama and the only outlet I have for plants other than what I aquire through friends, is Lowe's. God love them when you want a 5/16 socket or some floor tile, but plants not so much. Anyone that can help I would be greatful. I have some bulbs and some ordinary stuff. I will pay postage or whatever. Again, I am new and don't want to offend by offering money, but my stock is limited as of now. Thanks for any help and have a great day.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Hello,
And welcome! I too am pretty new to this site. If you look at the top of your screen and click on plant database and then type in 'Adiantum' it will bring up all the different maiden hair ferns in the database. Lucky you! living in zone 8 you will have so many choices. I have a very nice stand of 'Adiantum pedatum' That has been growing about 8 years now and is very happy. Just very recently a purchased a nice size clump of 'Adiantum venustum'. I have been very fortunate to find a couple of local nurserymen who carry not just your average garden variety ferns.These are some online mail order nurseries you might like to check out. You can check to see how these companies rate if you click on the garden watchdog tab.
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens @ http://www.munchkinnursery.com/
Fancy fronds@ www.fancyfronds.com
deeproots nursery @ http://www.deeprootsnursery.com/
also here is the American Fern Society web page: http://www.amerfernsoc.org/
Good luck, S

This message was edited Sep 15, 2004 9:21 PM

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

venustum will not do as well in Alabama as Adiantum capillus-veneris.

It is the southern Maidenhair and does well here with the addition of a lil lime.

let me know if you need to know anything more specific as I know a good bit about ferns for the southeast.

drew

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Shadyfolks and fernlvr--Welcome to DG and the forums!--

I am rather new too, but I wanted to mention that DeepRoots is often on the forums and knows lots about ferns and then I noticed he actually responded to you. I think the link you noted above is his nursery, but you probably already knew that!

I am interested to know what you are going to do with your shadey ferny area. I am just starting to plant my shade/wet-ish/acid-ey area out--would like to do ferns and was wondering which ones?---(also have some Oakleaf hydran., liriope, h. geranium, european ginger, a few hosta in there, too. Oh, yes, and I tried to put in a few siberian iris where I thought they could catch some sun.)

Picked up Japanese painted ferns (for a dollar each at Lowes!) and some tassel ferns--now I am wondering what other ferns for zone 6a southwestern Ohio...assuming it's not too late to plant them..

The Munchkin nursery sounds v. interesting---I'm wondering how far it is from
Cincinnati....will do a map quest on that...

Well, happy planting. t.

Hi, again--Shadyfolks, I just read your next thread down on the Shady forum, 'Problem area..', and saw pics of your pretty shade site and noted all the interesting suggestions! They gave me lots of ideas and good information, too, including fern-y possibilities.

Fernlvr and S., please be sure to post some pictures of your progress and let us know what works for you...t.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Tabasco,
Glad you saw the other thread. There ARE a lot of suggestions and now I have to get out and start investigating those plants. I need to print out that thread and throw it in my purse, so I have it with me at all times.
I know where I can get some good size clumps of Astilbe very reasonably priced so I think I am going to try that in my wet spot. I just worry that the spot is too wet in the winter months and roots will rot.
Yes, I have conversed with Deeproots, Seems like a nice guy and from the rating he has received it appears that he is great to do business with too!So I will have to give him a try.
Would love to see a picture of your shady/wet area. Is your spot wet 12 onths of the year? Just how wet is it?
Take care, S

S.

My spot is absolutely soaked fall, winter and spring--summer it dries up some. This summer I tried to raise the beds with compost and topsoil and part of it is a slope with stone steps--that helps. I may try to put in some drains. We shall see what happens...

FedEx just delivered some Bluestone perennials to plant...Did a little research on rhododendrons and wondered if certain varieties might work with a smidge of sunlight--do you know? or I might trying limbing up some trees to brighten up the area.

I will post some pics when I get it together a little bit more and learn how to take decent pictures with the digital. Have a nice weekend. t.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

fernlvr,
So how is the hunt for ferns going?
S

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I have the maiden hair fern you are describing in my garden and it is from divisions of my Grandmothers. I live in zone 9 and it is happiest in sheltered conditions. I have had it in pots and in the ground. In pots it needs to be divided every once in a while. If it shrivels in the winter, don't despair, just whack it off and wait for new growth. You MUST do this when the new growth is just appearing or you will end up cutting each old frond individually. That is a pain. It is a beautiful plant. Here it is easiest to get it from the "indoor" part of the nursery. Or if you have a friend - like above - it is very happy when divided.

Oh, regarding the Astilbes, I have had them in a pretty damp place for years, right under Oak Leaf ferns and a Japanese Maple on the North side - virtually no sun. The one that doesn't get too much water has an Eastern exposure, and looks sad. But then, I grow bearded Iris next to the lawn. Maybe it's just where I live - although we have clay soil which after years of work, is just now getting workable, well at least in some places.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.