A new plant?? Does anyone know?

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Is this a new plant on my epi radicans? I thought it was a flower spike until it started putting out what looks like roots or should a flower spike have that..? And, do I snip off the little plants and pot up or are there steps?

And, some of the roots are out of the pot and a peice has white mold on it. How do I treat it? All the roots buried in sphagnum seem to be in shape. If it helps, I don't keep it in a green house, just a sun room so our humidity isn't that high.

Thumbnail by CaptMicha
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Yup....I've gotten two like that myself this year. Wouldn't have known what they were if one of my Daylilies hadn't done the same thing....a proliferation they called it.
Gotta love 'free' plants :-)

This message was edited Sep 16, 2004 5:37 AM

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

How is that disagreeing with me Baa? That is exactly what I said.....a baby plant on the stem , similar to what I've also gotten on one of my daylilies this year. I have also gotten two myself on two seperate orchids this year.
I'm sorry if I didn't know to call it a 'keiki'....on the daylily it was called a proliferation.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil(Zone 11)

Epidendrums do it all the time. I donīt cut them and plant them individually because it would take longer for them to bloom.

And due to that, my E. fulgens is a mess. The keikis already had keikis that already had keikis, and I have roots hanging around everywhere.

At least the bloom like crazy in a good part of the year.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Yeah, well Monocromatico, I bet you get to plant them outside in Brazil! Soo jealous! :) Mine is in a pot so I guess I'll have babies to trade soon.

Wow! The answer to this was really quick! I didn't think there was that much activity going on in the Orchids forum.

Thanks guys! Oh wait, the picture of the mold. I scraped a little off to see if it was just the whiteness of the roots but it was different.

Thumbnail by CaptMicha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.