Direct sowing perennial seeds in the fall?

South of Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have often read on seed packets that some seeds can be planted in the fall. Has anyone tried this? I have loads of space outside to give this a try in a nursery bed and if successful transplant to perennial beds and borders which I am trying to expand. Isn't that how it happens in nature when seeds mature and drop from the plant? It frequently happens in my own garden on its own - I have columbines seeding themselves all the time. Some seed starting instructions require chilling of seeds before planting - why not let mother nature do it? I would appreciate any feedback on your experiences - specifically when would you plant and what perennial varieties might be successful. I live in a cool zone (3a) on the Canadian prairies.

Susan

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Welcome from a transplanted Canadian. I've lived in IA the past 27 yrs. Lots of folks do winter-sowing. I tried it for the first time last winter and had fantastic success. Do a search in the forums for winter-sowing and you'll find lots of advice and pictures to learn from. I googled it too and printed a huge list of seeds that can be germinated this way. Here's a picture of some hostas I winter-sowed, with the tops off the pop bottles.

Thumbnail by kooger
Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

some sort of malfunction there; I'll try again...didn't work again; so here's some transplanted hosta seedlings.

Thumbnail by kooger
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hi, Susan. I am a zone 3 in southcentral Alaska. I fall sow local plants that need to stratify (chill) before germination can take place. In your climate, the only problem I can see is that you will not get an early start by doing this. If it is not necessary to mature the plant in the first season, it should work out fine. You will learn by trial and error what self seeds outdoors and what does not. I've learned not to dig in my beds too early so as to allow the seedlings to pop up. A nursery bed is always a good idea... a spot where you can sow seeds and leave it to its own means, rather than your usual beds that you weed and turn.

kooger - Thanks for your reply. I have read some information on the winter sowing methods. I think after the snow flies I think I will give it a try too. Although probably on a smaller scale than some of the extreme gardeners I have seen and learned from on this site. I just joined a few days ago and I can't say enough about what a great community this is.

Weezingreens - Thank-you for your comments also. My idea to try sowing seeds this way was not necessarily to get an early start but more of a way to maybe get some plants inexpensively with a minimum amount of work. I have loads of gardening space in tucked away places and I thought that it would be an interesting experiment. I think that a nursery bed is the only way I could make this happen because my husband works with me in the garden and he is a keen weeder and cultivator! Thank goodness he likes that part (less work for me!). However, on more than one occassion he hasn't seen my markers for seeds and happily hoed what he thought were weeds.

Could you give me some examples of what plants have work for you sowing in the fall in Alaska?

Thanks - Susan

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Usually, I sow native plants... Aquilegia formosa (Western Columbine), Geranium erianthum (Wild Cranesbill), and Iris setosa (Wild Flag). I know these plants are accustomed to germinating after a stratification period (chilling or freezing). Those I planted in an isolated nursery bed and pricked out later for transplant.

As for purchased or traded seed, I use Tom Clothier's germination table to determine whether they need a complicated stratification... 2 weeks at 70 degrees, two weeks at 38 degrees, two weeks at 45 degrees... etc... just an example. In that case, I start them indoors for two weeks, then set them outside in a dome covered flat on the porch as the spring thaw begins. I check them often and mist as needed as the temps warm up. I don't know if that qualifies as 'winter sowing'.

Weezingreens - Columbines are one I am familiar with - I get it sprouting in a lot of unexpected places every year. I haven't noticed that my Cranesbill reseeds but the plant itself sure spreads readily.

I am new around here and I am not familiar with Tom Clothier. Where can I find his germination table? Sounds like a good reference!

Thanks again - Susan

This message was edited Sep 16, 2004 10:05 AM

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

durtcom, here is the Tom Clothier Germination site: http://tomclothier.hort.net/page03.html I've found it very helpful.

Hardy geranium reseed here for me... at least the G. erianthum, and the G. stratium. Columbine are always self-sowing, as well.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Carol, thanks for that link. A LOT of good info there!

~julie~

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Great Link!! Thanks so much.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

You both are more than welcome. I first heard about the site from good folks here on Dave's.

Weezingreens - Wow! Tom Clothier is a fabulous reference. Looks like he was an extreme gardener and researcher. Also very generous to share his knowledge with everyone. Thanks for the tip.

Susan

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I try to add planting instructions on my seed packets for trade, and this site has been invaluable.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Weez - that is one awesome website. HOURS of good reading!!!

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks for passing on the website..... it's just what I needed to help get me going with my attempt at winter sowing.....

Just an update to my original post… I have been reading Lois Hole’s book Perennial Favorites which is sort of a standard reference here in southern Alberta by a local author and greenhouse owner. Here is what she has to say:

Some perennials can be sown in fall, but this must be done late enough that the seeds will not germinate until spring. Certain seeds need a prolonged freeze-thaw period (stratifying) in order to germinate. If you sow seeds in fall, sow them thickly, because germination will be poorer than with spring seeding. Be sure to mark the area so you don’t mistakenly cultivate in spring. Label the plants so you know which variety is growing. An area of the garden designated as a ‘seedling bed’ is ideal. You may be able to use a corner of your vegetable garden for this purpose. Seedlings are ready to be transplanted once they have produced two or three sets of leaves.

Perennials she suggests are suitable for fall sowing are:

Snowdrop Anemone
Beardtongue (Penstemon)
Blue Fescue
Blue Oat Grass
Delphinium
Foxglove
Hollyhock
Lupin
Meadowsweet (Filipendula)
Pasqueflower
Poppy
Snakeroot (Bugbane)

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Durtcom,
Thanks for the info!
Terrie

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Great info Durtcom......got my feeble mind ta spinning here. :-)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Makes good sense, Susan. If seed is sown too early in the fall, it may germinate and the seedlings could never survive cold temps. When any of us break open a seed pod and toss the seeds around the flowerbed, we are basically winter sowing.

Since I start most seeds indoors, those seeds that require a warm period, then a cold period, then a warming period... I sow the seeds to trays indoors, then set them outside in early spring to let nature take care of it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it is all a learning experience.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I am going to do this myself for the first time this year with some wildflower mixes, and Joe Pye, etc.. Can't wait to see what I get!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I'm going to be sowing hollyhock seeds from a friends garden soon and I have some red poppy seeds I was going to sow, but can't remember where I stashed them.

Have also brought home some wildflower seeds I intend to treat as rudely as I always have the yellow bee balm and orange mallow. -- I bang their heads on the ground where I want plants to spring up next year. The only difference here is I'm going to pick places within my garden instead of the unwatered, unkempt part of the yard. I'm trying some orange butterfly weed from Colorado and some yellow saxifrage from the nearby mtns. We'll see come spring.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I sowed Hollyhock last fall about this time and had nice plants this year (about 3 feet tall). As it is a biennial there were not any blooms this year, but next year should be great. I plan to let them continue to reseed in this spot.

I also got hollyhock seeds this year (tons from Balvenie) and sowed them in a new bed along a fence. It will be a couple years for those to bloom as well, but I love the ease of fall sowing!

Just when I was starting to think that I wouldn't get a chance to try fall sowing, we had a couple days break from the cold weather we have been experiencing lately. I was able to get into the garden to sow some seeds today. My experiment has started - here is what I planted:

1. Dames Rocket (Hesperis)
2. Wild Lupin (Lunpinus perennis – Sundial Lupine)
3. Penstemon (Rocky Mountain Blue)
4. False Sunflower
5. Columbine (Red/White)
6. Golden Marguerite (Anthemis tinctoria)
7. Hollyhock (Red)
8. Delphinium (Magic Fountains Mix)
9. Lupin (Mixed)
10. Siberian Wallflower (Cheiranthus allioni)
11. Foxglove (Foxy Mix)
12. Mountain Ash Tree

Can't wait to see what happens in the spring....
Susan

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Susan-- We'll be anxious to hear of your success next Spring!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I planted lettuce, carrots and spinach yesterday. They will start germinating far earlier than you can get into the garden in the spring.
Inanda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.