Is there a tool that can shred "green" material?

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I have lots of vegetable plants and annuals that I will be putting in my compost pile at the end of the season. What tool/machine can shred or chop this material? TIA, Tamara

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

Tamara, could you just let it dry out a day or two, then run the mower over it? It works great for leaves. Maybe it'll do the trick. I just chuck it all in whole and let nature take it's couse over the winter.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I read that you can put it all in a plastic garbage can and stick the weed whacker/string trimmer in on top to chop it up. I haven't tried it, and I would probably wear goggles if I did!

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

My husband and I have done that with lots and lots of leaves. It's amazing how many leaves you can get into a garbage can that way. DH would stand there with the weedeater and I piled the leaves in, then he whacked them while I gathered more leaves. Teamwork is great!
However, it was metal can, I don't know about a plastic can. Weedeater might chew up the sides.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I never thought of that! Thanks, everyone! Tamara

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

WOW! Great tip :)

Susan M.

Chantilly, VA(Zone 6b)

I chop the big plants (such as 8' tall cleome with 1 1/2" trunks) into foot long chunks, make a pile 6" deep or so on the lawn grass, and mow with a bagging mower, mulching blade. Works best with stuff that is still green, or at least mostly fresh. This makes a wonderful compost mix. I even leave the roots on, it gets some soil into the mix.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.