Grow Bags vs Container Tomato

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Has anyone grown tomatoes in a hydroponic grow bag instead of containers ?
Using half peat moss and half compost manure?

Cricket

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I guess we will find out come spring. guess i will be the guienie pig.

cricket

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

i know this old guy that every year buys 15 bags of potting mix, pokes a hole in them and plants a tomato plant.
He never weeds, rarely waters, and has great tomatos. At the end of the year he empties the bags into a garden.

dp

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

thanks dp

so far I have heard that lying a bag flat on the ground helps on moisture better than verticle up right bags.

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

Cecilsgarden on the GardenWeb forum does the bag thing. very interesting - I will try it next year. he has a private FAQ on this if you are interested. let me know, and I will ask him if I can post it.

Michael

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

sure, i am interested

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

here is the link to Cecilsgarden web page:

http://community-2.webtv.net/tomatopest/bags/index.html

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

That is so amazing. Thank you for sharing this! (and tell your friend thanks too!)

And I am now wondering why I built a kitchen garden with pebble paths and raised beds.....

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

good information at cecilsgarden.
Starting Dec--I will start my tomato seed,
I have empty 5 gallon size grow bags. For my tomato plants , I will be mixing my own soil. half peat and half compost manure from walmart. the compost manure has small seasoned wood chips and sand in it. I am going to use Osmocote 14-14-14 that is a slow release for 4 months. 4 tablespoons mixed in the top soil of the bag. I will also use 1/2 cup calcium per bag to help prevent blossom end rot. I will use red or white plastic mulch over the bags to help retain moisture. The plastic mulch can be tucked under the edges of the grow bags nice and neat plus I can use it several times and I dont have to worry about diseases being in wood mulch. I will attempt to set up a drip system that will be operated manually---timed.
For my squash, cucumbers, pumpkin, eggplant, peppers, cauliflower, and broccoli, I will use the organic humus bags, laying the bag flat, using 14-14-14 slow release Osmocote--4tbs per bag.

cricket

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I think I read somewhere that Shoe has used the plant-in-the-bag method with some success!

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

Cecil looked again: the bags are actually 40 qt / 24 pound bags, preferably of potting mix with fertilizer. saw a bag of Shultz mix the other day that looked perfect. I am going to try them this year on a sunny hill in my front garden. will probably use the Texas Tomato Cages, probably the 18" versions should be ok, I would think. still haven't figured out how to protect them from the deer.

This message was edited Oct 15, 2004 12:48 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.