In Praise of Flowering Cabbage

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

This spring I sold two flats of Osaka ornamental cabbage mix to the city of Seward. This fall, I was so pleased to see how well it performed. Ornamental cabbages and kales surely bring a wonderful spot of color to the end of the season when all other ornamental plants are going to seed.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I thought this was such a beautiful bit of nature's work. A berry from an overhead mountain ash has lodged itself between the leaves of the Osaka.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

The white Osaka was beautiful, as well...lacy like the ruffled skirt of your favorite childhood go-to-church dress.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Beautiful.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

On a sunny fall day, the light shines through the leaves as if they are illuminated from within.

I saved my plants of last year now these are well shaped. This December will change colors again.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Ours are strictly an annual thing. They die in the fall. Occasionally, one will survive the winter, but it is usually pretty sad looking the following spring.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Weezingreens,
your kales are simply beautiful!
Do they look this way now?
In my climate they are definitely the plants for the winter,
and bring a special delight to us in the New Year.
They are elegantly beautiful when they've overwintered
I love them best at that time .(March-April)

Thumbnail by Tomtom

Tomtom
Your plants are very beautiful, these are different from ours, I also have same like weez's.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

TomTom, Occasionally, here in Seward, the kales and cabbages head up, but usually winter hits first. They just don't seem to winter over here. I love the way yours have climbed like little flocked Christmas trees!

Weez
you are right same like Christmas trees.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Weezingreens,thank you so much for your reply.
Now I can realize how plants grow defferently in different places.
Our winter climate is mild,so these flowering kales overwinter easily.
and show themselves like this.

==================================
gumlla
These flowering kales are of large type called ‘ Kanzashi'.
We have a variety of flowering kales .We call them
HABOTAN in Japanese meaning ‘ peony-like leaves' .

Cincinnati, OH

I cook kale for my wife. I never really liked it until I tried flowering kale. The taste is great. I love it.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

You know, I grow at least 6 kinds of kale in my veggie bed, beside the flowering types, and I've never cooked up the flowering kale. I've used it to garnish dishes, but not cooked. I'll have to give it a try next year.

Here is an interesting Osaka cabbage. It has multiple heads. I have no idea why this occurred, but I am guessing the top may have been snapped off when it was young and it developed side shoots. Anybody else have any ideas?

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Gorgeous Weezin.. I've always admired that stuff. So colorful!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

The cabbages were especially beautiful this year.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Weezin, when did you sow those seeds? How long do they flower up like that?

Port Lavaca, TX(Zone 9a)

How beautiful Weezingreen and Tomtom! I live in south Texas and must grow ornamental cabbage and kale in the winter. I had bought some seeds from a coop this spring and am wondering if I should plant them in a flat and then transplant or should I sow them directly? How deep should the seeds be planted?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hi, Barbur. I start mine indoors. We have a very short summer here. Here is some info on direct sowing I found on the web: 1/2" deep, four per foot, within rows spaced 24"-36" apart. Gently press the soil after planting to ensure the seed is in contact with it. Thin to one seedling within each foot. Germination should take place in 5-10 days at 70-75F.

I like the green speckles on the white Osaka.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Weez--beautiful kale and cabbages and thanks for posting this thread and all the pics.

I wish everyone would plant Kale/cabbages for fall color in the gardens--they can be so interesting and 'artful' like your multi-headed one like Tomtom's pics!.

And tomtom--to good to see you posting--I have been checking the Containers forum looking for your latest ideas!

Happy gardening. t..

Port Lavaca, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Wheez, I planted as you instructed except I made my rows closer, like 18" apart. Planted Naygoya White Kale, Coral Prince Kale, Pigeon Victorian Cabbage, Peacock Red Kale. Noticed I bought much more kale than cabbage, don't know why. I have more but thats all for today. I watered with the soaker hose, should I keep the seeds damp till they sprout?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, I'd keep them moist, but able to drain... maybe that's not easy in Texas!

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

I just found this thread and think it's one of the best I've read, and seen! Absolutely beautiful and inspiring. Carol, can I ask about what time of the year do you sow your kale? Where do you find your seed? And Tomtom, I must try the Kanzashi. Has anyone seen this in the states?

Thank you again everyone for sharing!
James

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks, James! I have been growing ornamental cabbage 'Osaka' mix. This includes red, white & pink. I bought the seed from Stokes: http://www.stokeseeds.com/cgi-bin/StokesSeeds.storefront

I was curious about the Kanzashi, so I ran it through Googles. As it turns out, the word refers to a Japanese hair ornament for women: http://www1.odn.ne.jp/maya/english/k02.htm What a clever name for Tom Tom's kale! However, I could find no info on that cultivar on Googles... only our discussion here and a rather suggestive link we don't want to visit.

As for the Hobotan, I found that more easily, but all the links are in Japanese. Here's a link to the Googles images: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=HABOTAN&btnG=Search&sa=N&tab=wi

I sow my flowering cabbage or kale indoors about 7-8 weeks before last frost is due. For me, that would be in late March or early April. We can safely plant by June 1, but I'm sure these cabbages, once hardened off could stand a light frost, even as younsters. Our season is short with lots of cool days, so they color up nicely and don't bolt early in the summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.