Juliana compact or compact plus greenhouse....

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Does anyone have either of these models and have anything to say about them?
I am looking for a greenhouse about 8x10 or 12 in size and have seen this one...http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/compact.shtml
I would really like to spend about 1300. for one, but it doesn't look do-able. ( certainly not above 2K )
I would be using it in fall/winter/spring only to keep tropicals out of the cold. I do not plan to heat it.
This will be my first experience with over-wintering plants & green houses.
Does anyone have any ideas for one that would meet these critera? I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

You could probly build one with 2x4 and polycarbonite panels from Home depo that size, for that ammount.

North Scituate, RI(Zone 6a)

Take a look at the 9/13 post by vs71099 -- a nice 6 x 8 aluminum model with poly glazing. You can see it by going to "harborfreight.com" and clicking on Lawn and Garden. With benches and shelves, you'll have quite a bit of growing space. They might even offer extension kits.

I just put up a 6'5" x 12'10" Rion freestanding model. I haven't used it yet, so I don't have much advice for you. It seems like a sturdy enough model. You can buy the standard kit (6 x 8) for something like $989. Extension kits (an additional 4-plus feet) are something like $340. I bought the standard model, one extension kit, an extra roof vent and a louvered window for the back wall for $1620 (IGC has free shipping, too). They offer a base for something like $140, but you can make your own with 6 x 6 garden timbers or 8 x 8 railroad ties for a lot less money. I think the Rion is cheaper than the Juliana freestanding models. The Juliana models I've seen are VERY nice!

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you both...I decided for now to go with the portable hoop house. This is my very first time at GH growing and thought it would be a good place to get my feet wet!

I wish you the best of luck! - Greenhouse gardening can be so rewarding. And what a stress-relief (when things go well)!!

- Kathleen

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you Kathleen...Today I went out to HD and bought shelves (2) racks and a work table. The GH didn't even come yet! What I should be doing is leveling where it is going to go, but our weather is so hot, in the 90's! I will wait until it cools off a bit!

I am looking forward to using it and yet I know I have alot to learn. I bought GH Companion and the sunset GH books and have been doing alot of reading. I am looking forward to spending some time this winter sitting out there with my brugs and other plants!

Margie

If you're going to build your own benches, think about using wire mesh for the tops: the plants will drain perfectly and not be sitting in puddles. The additional air circulation is a bonus, too (especially for things like orchids or alpines). Too much damp/humidity in the fall/winter/spring can be a problem.

Things are really cooling off here in Rhode Island - we haven't had a 90-degree day in about 2 1/2 weeks . . . last night it was down to about 49 degrees. I'll have to move everything into the greenhouses within the next couple of weeks, which means I have to do a decent cleaning of the older greenhouse very soon.

Good luck with your new greenhouse!

- Kathleen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.