Flooding from Frances

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

The threads on Hurricane Frances are long, so I'm posting a few NC flood photos here in a new thread.

This first series starts with a normal shot of our largest river in Asheville, the French Broad River (which eventually flows into the Tennessee River near Knoxville) and subsequent photos show it under the effects of rain from Frances.

Thumbnail by darius

Raging River #1

Thumbnail by darius

Raging River #2

Thumbnail by darius

Raging River #3

Thumbnail by darius

Thgis what happens when the rivers flood and jump their banks:

Thumbnail by darius

Another nearby shot:

Thumbnail by darius

More flooding

Thumbnail by darius

More

Thumbnail by darius

Train tracks to nowhere...

Thumbnail by darius

Must be an unhappy farmer nearby...

Thumbnail by darius
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Not good.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Darius...big wow. Now that is what I call a flood! How amny people did it effect, I wonder? How close to you? So scarey and here comes the next round!

Weeds, I know it affected all the mountain communities beginning 50 miles from here and running all along the Appalachians to the other end in NC, about 200 miles. Probably affected a large rural population, plus a few larger towns like Asheville, Hendersonville, Hickory and Boone.

We barely escaped flooding here although we had about 10-12" of rain ... Frances went just enough east that we didn't flood. Stacey (Floridian) posted that Asheville had reported almost 250 mudslides, but I don't get Asheville news here, just Atlanta... which does me no good. (I don't need a daily influx of news about murders, etc.)

Floods from Tropical Storms and Hurricanes are far worse here than most people realize because by the time the storms get here, it's just rain and minimal winds... not newsworthy unless you live here and get flooded out. That's why I worry so much about tracking them, in addition to worrying about friends and family in the direct path.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Darius, do you know if the Ridgecrest Conference Center was affected by all that flooding. I was just curious because I have been there and that area of North Carolina is just gorgeous.

Cindy

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Can't imagine gettting a foot of rain and NOT having a flood from it. Must be downhill from there. Obviously it's downhill to certain parts of Asheville. And unless Ivan decides to vacation in Mexico, no matter where it goes those hills get the rain.

Hemlady, Ridgecrest likely would not have been affected. It is quite high in the Black Mountain area. Probably would take Noah's flood to affect it.

Yeah, Blooms... we expect to get inundated again by Ivan. Luckily for my county, we have a HUGE TVA lake that catches a lot of the downhill rain. Frances brought the water level back up by four feet where they had started draining it for winter power on the river.

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

Wow Darius! I had no idea that the flooding was so bad there! The networks and news channels focus on the beaches and coastal areas, since they obviously think that provides more dramatic coverage. Hope we are all safe from Ivan.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks darius.

LSP, it's always like that here after a TS or remnants of a hurricane. I'm inclined to think it's because of the expensive second homes at the beach that they get so much coverage.

Glad y'all got a snapshot of what we go through even when a TS is down to 40 MPH.

No one may be safe from Ivan... just heard winds are back up to 165 MPH.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

This forum is proving to be a good weather information network -- real reports from real people!

Darius, don't know if you heard or not but 40 was closed from mudslides at the Old Fort exit which is at the bottom of Black Mountain. It was a mess. Biltmore Village, all the homes, completely flooded. It was even worse. None of those people had flood insurance either so they are hoping for some help. And it wasn't just a little water, it was like 4 feet of water. All schools in Haywood and Buncombe county as well as Transylvania and maybe even Brevard were closed for 3 days. The flooding was terrible. I'm sure we can't take another hit but I'm afraid we're going to.

Vic, Indeed I saw some video of the I-40 mudslides. I cannot imaging the 250+ mudslides Floridian posted about. Old Fort is such a poor and run-down area that I'm not surprised no one had flood insurance.

I had more photos of flooding in Hendersonville, Canton, Marshall and Clyde but didn't post them. Biltmore Village was sure a mess, wasn't it? I cannot imaging 4-5 feet of water even though I went through that once as a youngster in my grandfather's house. I just remember more of the fun with the rowboat in the front yard, LOL.

How did your creek fare?

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

These southern plains are looking better and better. :-|

Our creek suffered "some" damage but NOTHING like it would have had we not put in the extra spillway. That extra overspill has two 15 inch culvert pipes and they had water flying out of them plus the regular spillway as well. It was unbelievable. I've never seen so much water. We put our slickers on and walked down a couple of times to make sure everything was going ok. Not sure what we would have done if something was wrong. It took one log that is about 4 feet long that was under the bridge and sent it on downstream like it was a toothpick. We "hope" we're ready for Ivan but I don't think anyone can prepare for that kind of flooding. I wanted to explain to you too, that it was the people in Biltmore Village that didn't have any flood insurance. All those beautiful homes with businesses in them...ugh, I hope they get some help. They were shoveling mud out of the their places. I heard Biltmore House had some damage too but not what it was. But I'm sure the people in Old Fort had mud damage as well.

Vic, glad that was all the water force you had, and even that must have been awesome.

I can't imagine flooding rose as high as Biltmore House... that must have been terrifying. I have a friend who lives just uphill from Biltmore Village, towards Oakley... flooding and no insurance.

I can't really have much sympathy for the businesses in Biltmore Village, unfortunately. They charge three or four times what something is worth, preying on tourists, and if they had no flood insurance, KNOWING they are in a very low-lying area next to the river that always floods... well, it was money hoarded and not spent appropriately. I lived too long in Asheville with those rivers flooding to not know what they can do.

Who can prepare for Ivan regardless of where we are in the Path?

And, hey... would you put more paragraphs in your posts so it's easier to read by us old folks? Thanks!

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Dariius, Thanks for the heads-up and the pictures. They bring back old memories. I can remember the big flood of 1940 or 1941 and going with my parents to various high points that overlooked the rivers. What is now Biltmore Village now was just Biltmore where people lived in the houses.The highwater marks on the houses stayed for years. The railroad round table and yard is below the area where Lee Edwards High School stands. What a sight, Big steam engines almost covered by water.

If you are familiar with Hendersonville, you know about Atha Plaza at US 25 and old Spartanburg highway! It's been a joke for years that it floods there even in a year with little rain!

I feel so sorry for people that are flooded. My daughter lost everything in a bad flood in Jupiter Farms in Palm Beach County a few years back. In our hurricanes, even if we lose a roof (I lost part of one in Andrew), the weather after the hurricane passes is clear skies, HOT and breezy. This gives you a chance to pull out carpets, furniture, etc. outside to start the drying process. We have not had rain since Frances cleared the west coast of Florida. This helps with clearing debris. Rakeing wet leaves and moving wet branches makes it twice as hard. Even though the plants are suffering, we are praying the rain holds off until we get our roofs dried in. Welcome to the land of blue roof tarps! LOL
Pati

Pati, you must be just a bit older than I am. I have only seen photos of that flooding in Asheville you recounted. ('Course, we didn't come to NC until the 1950's). There were some photos of the flooding on Lyman Street I didn't download... that's where the Roundhouse is. That whole area is now called the River District and most of the old brick warehouses left standing are now artist's studios.

Looks like you will be spared the onslaught of Ivan unless the storm takes a right turn and tracks across south Florida like Charley did.

Here's hoping y'all get dried out in the Land of the Blue Tarp Roofs!

Auburn Hills, MI(Zone 6a)

Darius,,
those pictures are amazing !! keep safe and dry

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Well Darius, you just put a crimp in MY plans...LOL After 3 hurricanes in one month, I was saying that I was going to put my valuables (collections and artwork) in a secure storage center and buy a place in the NC mountains! And part of me was dead serious! I am so sick of living like a mole...taking a few storm panels down between storms. Florida is a grouchy, ouchy state right now...just in time for the tourists to descend upon us! I would not move from my beautiful barrier island, but the mountains are sounding good!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

PS Where are you in NC?

Dale, I'm in far western NC, near Hayesville and Murphy and just north of Hiawassee, GA. I used to live in Asheville, still my favorite NC city. Most of western NC is wonderful, just some parts are a little backward and lacking in the variety of shopping we are used to.

The mountains ARE NOT DANGEROUS for flooding as long as you are not at the bottom of a gorge, or too close to a low river-bottom area.

Many of the residents in my area are FL refugees, for the same reasons you stated above. In fact, so was my family, but 40 years ago.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Awesome pictures Darius. I can barely remember the French Broad but the name sure conjures memories of a great time in my life!
Yep, we heard there were 240 + mudslides in the Asheville area. The didn't specify size of the slides or even locations. It was just one of those brief updates on the havoc wreaked by Frances.

I haven't been to Asheville since Frances... and may not go until after Ivan. I will be sure to take my camera when I do though.

Asheville is almost halfway along my journey to visit my mother in her nursing home in Boone.

I'm SO glad the worst of the rain passed east of here, even if barely.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I realize the mountains are not dangerous due to rain storms. I would choose the mountains because the low country is as hot, if not hotter than Florida. It would be a two prong reason...hurricanes and a summer retreat! My 83 year old dad just went through Frances in Jupiter, Florida and he had had enough(no power etc. and he was lucky as he has a generator so at least he had water and kitchen appliances, but no computer because no phones!) so he left for Pinehurst where he used to live part time and caught up with some old friends so he is golfing while I am worrying!! Looks like we are going to luck out with Ivan...I pray we do. We Floridians have had enough!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Darius, which Lowe's is that?

The new Lowe's over by Bed, Bath & Beyond and the Asheville Mall.

DARIUS, et al, this was in the Asheville paper today. Hang on to the side of that mountain, looks like Ivan is going to dump more rain on you.
Pati

http://www.citizen-times.com/cache/article/news/61363.shtml

Hey, Pati. Thanks, I hadn't heard the Parkway was closed. Wow, some damage in that photo!

I checked the link in the article about other roads that are closed. You saved me a frustrating trip to Boone to see my mother soon. The only easy route, US 221 is closed in 2 places and may be closed for 2 months. My alternative would be here to Asheville, across the mountain to Johnson CityTN then back across the mountain to Boone via Elisabethton. Ugh.

Darius, is #19 out of Mars Hill blocked? Goes through Burnsville, Spruce Pine and connects to #194 through Banner Elk to Boone? I really hope something opens up before your trip....that's a loooog way around through TN.
Pati

I didn't even think to check Hwy 19, and I used to go that way when I lived in Green Mountain (above Burnsville)! It's such a tedious, winding drive with crazy drivers on the roads but shorter than going to Johnson City. That would take me around the slide at Linville, though.

I'll probably put off a trip to see my mother until after I come back from the KYRU which is next week. I may even come back in that direction, saving another trip starting from here. It's so darned hard to get anywhere from here.

Okay, just checked US 19 before finishing this post. Some one lane areas in Mitchell County. Maybe those will be cleared by the time I go, assuming Ivan doesn't bring down more of the mountain.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.