Inured?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

You Floridians have been hit hard in the last few weeks from Bonnie, Charley and Frances. However, with Ivan looming, are you now inured to hurricanes? I see so few recent postings from Floridians, but many from those of us who Watch and Pray with you.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I think they are trying tp catch their breath maybe. I don't see how anyone could be too toughned by those things.

John, of course you are right. If I lived there. I'd be out and about getting prepared myself... or preparing to leave, not posting on DG. I'm just missing their posts.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Yeah, me too. Floridian started a neat thread in wildlife.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

The last time that 3 hurricanes hit Florida in a 30 day period was in 1896!

Inured, yes sort of...also determined to "do it right this time". People are preparing now, not waiting til the last moment. People are worried though about the prospect of another bigger, stronger storm since they realise now there really isn't anyplace to go. If you don't live in a strong house you may just be in trouble.

We went shopping this evening and already many shelves are empty. The water is being stacked on end caps and not even making it out of boxes or onto proper shelves

We're hearing that there are no generators to be had in the southeast. I know lots of people that are wishing they could find them. One person said that he had to blow the dust off his generator box because he'd never needed it before. We got ours when we got the house tented and couldn't keep the AC breaker from tripping in the camper. I was a little put out that Paul spent the money...I've told him a dozen times in the past few days how glad I am now that he did LOL Plywood, another mostly non existant product. People are standing in great long lines to get it. It also goes off the shelf before it even gets to them.

We're still seeing lots of flooding, even the lakes and swamp lands are overflowing. They seem to be still rising but I'm not positive of that. We still have standing water in a few low places around our property and all the roadside swales are still full. We had water flowing through our backyard for 2 days and the ground goes squish as we walk around. Other spots are big mud pits. It's really bad around where we usually park and the dog's trails.

Oh well, we will survive this one too...Poor Jamaica is getting hammered right now with very high winds, soon to be getting 150mph winds and Ivan seems to be strengthening. Prayers for the islands are desperately needed. 90% of Grenada's buildings were damaged and Ivan was a Cat 3 storm when it hit

Stace'... my brother in Jax would give plenty for your generator, LOL. Aren't you glad Paul went ahead and got it? (I know you are!)

We can barely get any plywood and sheetrock even here in the mountains... it's all gone south. Which is good... we just need it here for projects, whereas y'all need it for safety.

Squishy land will eventually dry...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.