Olive trees

Schriever, LA(Zone 9a)

Anybody have any suggestions for trying to grow a couple of olive trees in South Louisiana. I've been told that it was impossible. I'd like to try anyway. I'd like them for the olives, not the oil.

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

Hi Biff and welcome to Dave's Garden! I think it would be possible for you to grow an olive tree especially since you're in zone 9. One of the members here, "marshseed", has some olive trees growing on his land. Maybe he could give you some suggestions. I'd like to grow some myself. Although success is unlikely here on the GA coast, I'm going to give it a try anyway. Pacific Tree Farms is the only place I've been able to find that has a good selection. They mailed me a catalog just recently at my request. I called them on the phone and asked for one. Here's their addy:
http://www.kyburg.com/ptf/Default.htm

Terri

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

Hi, Biff!

olive trees grow well on poor soil, need watering (here in Crete, Greece, equiv. zone 9 - 10) for the first 2 -3 years, will d omuch better when manure is added in Feb., and do not need much attention, except for some pruning late Feb - early Mar. It is easier to try the "wild" olive tree, it produces a stronger root and trunk. Lateer, you can graft on it any variety that will be available. Olive trees do well in the hot sun, they do not like heat and humidity, and are very strong survivors in places where their roots need to dig deep and far to find small cracks between rocks where humidity will be found.

Let me know if you need anything special. I can even send you wild pips - you will wait till January to get them.

Dimitri

Hi Dimitri! I sure wish you'd post some pictures of Greece. I've always heard that it's just beautiful there. But back to olive trees. What kind of temps do olive trees like and what's the humidity like in Greece where they are grown? Thanks!

Terri

Terri,

olive trees grow in rather bad conditions. They are very good survivors.
In the summer scorhing daylight can make temp. into 40C - this year we already reached 33C twice and the heat is expected mid July to mid Aug. There is no rain from late May to late September, at least in Crete.
In the winter there is no frost, but I think they can survive that as well. their major characteristic is that they respond very aggressively to pruning. I have some trees about 400 - 600 years old, they live ok, but when we pruned them it was rejuvenating for them. Also, manure makes them grow better, and it is essential that they are watered during the summer for the first 2 - 3 years in the ground. Nowadays you can only buy cultivars, but to establish a giant that will live for at least 200 - 300 years, you better start with wild pips, and graft it after the 3rd year.

Dimitri

In terms of cultivation and production, I think you will have to read a

Dimitri, your summer temps sound just like my summer temps. My winters are mild, as we get very few frosts here on the Georgia coast. We have high humidity here though...but I would think on the island of Crete you would, too. What's your humidity like there?

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Hey Biff my friend!!Let me be the first to welcome you to Daves Garden! Hey Pete2 and dp, Biff is a good friend of mine! dp, I hope you can help him out! By the way dp, what is a pip??? Lisa

Hi, Lisa!!
We haven't communicated for a while!
If your comment for a pip is a joke, I am terribly sorry to say that for some years now I only practice my English while reading and writing, s oI don't know where I picked every word from.

Now, what is the hard bit in the middle of a cherry that you inevitably spit out?? A pip!! I think it is a british word, and there is a difference between a pip and a stone in fruits, mainly referring to size. So, wild olives grow from pips. Fancy some?? A handful for a thankyou in October!!

I will be happy to help anyone of oyu lot in every way I can. It is nice to be among DG people.

Dimitri

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Hey Dimitri! Your posting made me chuckle! I was not making a joke..i was serouis!! LOL! Anyway, I should have figured it out...we call it a "pit"! It is an olive pit here. Thanks for the lesson!! Lisa :-)

Hi Biff! Biff is a friend of mine, also, referred to me by Lisa. I even chatted with him on the phone a week ago. :-)

Glad you made it to DG Biff!

Dave

Biff,
I will send you some pips in October, you can start wild olive trees. They are very picturesque, and you can make a knobbly walking stick out of their side-growths ("suckers") after 5 years. You can graft them from the third year on, or just enjoy the small very tasty olives. On the other hand, if you want to have a specific type of olive, you are better off with a young tree from a garden center. And if you want production, you must talk to others who grow olives near you. There are many variants and idiosyncrasies and local expertise cannot be made up by book reading or distant advice.

Dimitri

Schriever, LA(Zone 9a)

Dimitri,
This is my first experience with an online forum. I'm getting good information that I haven't been able to find anywhere else I looked; including websites specializing in olive trees. The church where I fellowship has bought a large tract of land and they're designating an area for a prayer garden with trees and a pond. I thought it would be nice to try a few olive trees there. Jesus often prayed in a garden in a land where olive trees were abundant, so I thought it would be appropriate.
I would love to try some of your pips. Thanks.

Biff

This message was edited Tuesday, Jun 19th 6:23 PM

OK Biff, I am sure the olives will develop well.
It 's a deal.

Dimitri

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.