Yellow Walking Iris

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

This beautiful plant sent me Flowerjunkie three weeks before and now blooming. Love this plant.

Thumbnail by gumlla
Willits, CA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful!

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

What do you know about it? I've never heard of it.

I know nothing, because Daisy sent me this. daily bloomed new flower.

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

Good job Kaleem,

I am so happy that it has bloomed for you. The yellow walking iris is either sold under Neomarica longifolia or Trimezia martinicensis. It is a very drought tolerant, maintenance free, bug and disease free iris. It can grow in full sun or part shade.

Wow!!! thats sound.

Flowerjunkie,
Tell me more about this flower. Could it grow outside in zone 5 or would it need to come in during winter?

Gumlla

"That's sound" is music to my ears/eyes! I was born in in the West Midlands of England and I always thought it was a phrase specific to the Midlands region, it's good to hear it in such a diverse community as DG where I constantly have to correct my own version of English to be understood. A good friend kindly gave me a pup of this plant and I hope it will flower for me next year.

Boojum, it's not quite that hardy, it needs to come in over the winter for me.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

boojum, In your zone grow it as a houseplant.

Baa
As I born in Pakistan and my mother toung is Panjabi, a native language, our national language is Urdu. So my english is very very poor, Just can understand and express my thoughts. Please always ignore my mistakes.
Thanks

Gumlla,
Your English is fine. You should hear my Panjabi and Urdu! (a joke since I don't speak either). You are a brave soul and must love plants a lot to be writing in a foreign language.

boojum
Thank you. Just bear me ....lol. I think we all are family in DG and care each other and also love and help.

There was no mistake Gumlla! Just a phrase that was familiar to me and a pleasure to hear.

Your English is 100% better than my Panjabi ;)

Baa
I sowed the seeds you sent me. Idont know ,when to sow these, in fall or in spring, I also saved half of them for spring. And my English ; )

Meade, KS(Zone 6a)

Hi
I am growing one as a houseplant...it is huge and even has one walking stem...but it has never bloomed. Is there something to make it bloom? (Do I need TWO plants? lol) Thanks Janet

Janet
I have three plants which sent me Daisy last month, do you have also yellow. For blooming shift your plant under full sun.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Janet,

Did you let the plant outside for the summer? Maybe yours need more sun. I know mine are in full sun, all day long and they bloom all the time. Mine also is yellow with the brown freckled throat. It is hot down here for a very long summer season and these plants do extremely well.

I yanked mine up to move to my new place and they didn't even seem to mind that. Just kept on blooming.

Molly
:^)))

Meade, KS(Zone 6a)

Thanks so helping. Yes mine is in a sunroom on south side right up against the window. It looks great, but no blooms. What about fertilizer? Janet

I took a picture of mine the other day, and lo and behold there is more orange in mine. Look at all the seed pods. I've already had one pop open and am saving them for more plants or for trade.

As far as fertilizer goes, I think I have done this one time in the past year. (I think I should do more tho)

Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Molly, your's looks more like a Pardancanda, how many petals does it normally have?

All threes blooms right now have 6 petals. I assume they always do. The lady that gave this to me called it a walkin Iris and I never bothered to look it up. I see in the PDB what you are talking about. Sure looks the same as far as the plant features. The color on mine is different than those samples shown.

So Baa, this is the pardancanda then? Should I post the picture over there?

Molly

I don't yet know the differences between Pardancanda and Belamcanda (one of the parents of Pardancanda) as I've only grown Pardancanda, take a look and compare the images here on google :)

Pardancanda
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=pardancanda&btnG=Search

Belamcanda
http://images.google.com/images?q=belamcanda&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&start=40&sa=N

Baa, I can't see the difference between the two either. I took a more frontal picture here for a better look.

Any ideas?

Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Molly
Your plantsarevery beautiful.

Thanks Gumlla,

Yours are beautiful too. But I guess mine is not Walking Iris. Mine is very easy to take care of also. I think I will plant those seeds when the rest of the pods mature. I was only able to bring one of these plants from my old house.

Molly

Sorry Molly I honestly don't know, pehaps someone might know in the ID forum :)

Thanks Baa. Sorry for taking over Gumlla. Would you care for some seeds when the next pod matures?

Molly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.