Weird blip on the radar

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I was just watching our local 600-mile animated radar loop on The Weather Channel website when I spotted something kind of strange over by Ft. Wayne. I looked at the same radar for their area and saw it again. It was just there for one or two segments of the loop -- was that a tornado? Check it out (had to do a screen print, LOL). It's so cool having a weather forum for this kind of stuff!

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Sure is over there all by its lonesome. too big for a tornado, or at least one of that sie should make the news. I think. ~Blooms

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

Looks like mini-hurricane, doesn't it?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

That's what I thought. I know sometimes the Doppler radar shows "ground clutter" - wonder if this is just clutter. It would have to have been AWFULLY big.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Probably it's feed back from the Fort Wayne Doppler. We get lines out over Lake Erie from the local Erie PA Doppler that look like nasty squall lines sometimes and a similar doughnut pattern around the radar location. Wonderful and strange stuff.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I think they call that an anomaly although unusual patterns/shapes in nature are not uncommon. How's that for being vague and covering my .....?

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

How do you capture screen images GW? Suppose I could look it up but, why do that if I can get you to give me the answer? :-)

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

Ah...crop circle being formed!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Ha, ha, ha.

Golden, CO(Zone 5b)

Tornados show on radar as what they call "hook echos" and look a bit like a comma usually at the leading edge of the storm. I watch them on intellicast.com quite a bit.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Anomaly, yeah, exactly. They use that on Star Trek TNG a lot, too!

Screen prints using Windows software:

Press the PRT SCR key in the upper left of the keyboard. That copies whatever's on your screen to the clipboard. Then open your favorite image editor and select EDIT > PASTE. Crop it however you want, add bells and whistles, and save-as whatever file name and format you want. For the best readability, especially pages with a lot of white with text, save in a very low compression JPG (85% quality, at least). You can experiment and see how it looks by doing a save-as GIF file, too.

There are programs which automate the screen print process, including capturing entire window contents (even the part not visible without scrolling). There's a thread going into more depth about those over in Computer Talk: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/449691/

Hope that helps!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Ok, Amaryllisgirl wins the best answer prize!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

It will I'm sure. If not, "I'll be back!"

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Well, I'd say it's probably Notre Dame gearing up for their first game of the season!

New Iberia, LA

Could be bats! Honestly!!!????

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.