CLOSED: Not a butterfly nor a hummer...

Modi'in, Israel

Look what I saw enjoying my Lantana this evening! I'm so excited I was able to capture a few shots of him before he got sick of my flash LOL. Next time he comes around I'll attempt to get up closer, but I wasn't about to risk it this time...I just wanted a shot! LOL I'm pretty sure it's a hummingbird moth, but you resident experts can correct me happily if you want :-)

-Julie

Thumbnail by salvia_lover
Modi'in, Israel

pic#2

Modi'in, Israel

pic#3

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I'm no expert Julie but, I agree. You can see his probiscus dangling down as in a tanker getting ready to refuel a jet fighter. Only his mission is more peaceful. He's lookin for a little sugar. Cool shots! :-)

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's mine

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

I was freaking out when I saw him in March in Carmel.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Modi'in, Israel

Oooooo yours is pretty too! Thanks for sharing him with me :-)

-Julie

OK! Out of my garden mothara! Incoming!

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

Sweet!

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Modi'in, Israel

LOL

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Any idea what plant(s) attract them best? I see them rarely. When I do they blow my mind!

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

That's amazing. I have never seen anything like that before. Thanks

Modi'in, Israel

Well the guy in my garden was just crazy about the Lantana. He zoomed past several other things in the garden (including several Salvias) but didn't stop at any of them...just kept coming right back to the Lantana.

-Julie

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Popular plant that lantana. Even my DW heads straight for the lantana when she goes outside! LOL

Modi'in, Israel

ROTFLMAO!

Check out this face.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Modi'in, Israel

Showdown! Cool shot Monterey! looks like he wants to challenge you to a draw LOL

Here's a blow-up. He's the Gene Simmons of moths.That's some feeding tube!

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

How does it manipulate that hose thang (probiscus?) to get nectare? Where you able to see that?

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

We had one at the black knight butterfly bush. My husband took some pics, but they're all blurry. He was also spotted at the Nanho blue.

Not a butterfly, nor a hummer. A flying buffalo perhaps?

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Modi'in, Israel

Not as big as yours Monterey, but a bee enjoying Salvia none-the-less LOL

After I eat this flower, I eat julie's bee!

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Modi'in, Israel

ROTFLMAO :-D

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Fantastic closeups, monte!

I really like to see "action" shots near a flower, guys. A "still" thats not so still. I don't know how express it. I'm going to shutup now. I'm blubbering (word?).

Auburn Hills, MI(Zone 6a)

your moth/hummer is common name is a funny one " humming bird moth" I had one here and had to find it as my Godmother thought it was some kind of bat.. very cool looking...

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 8a)

yep, it's a humming bird moth. Here is mine.

Thumbnail by poorgeorge
Modi'in, Israel

I just found the scientific name for my hawkmoth in this thread so I thought I'd add it here. It is a Macroglossum stellatarum...which means something like "larged tongued star" :-)

-Julie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.