Wintering Over!!!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Last year we had to get creative at the last minute because I had been sick. We have wrap-around porches so we enclosed the section by the double front door with clear construction plastic using 2x2 to attach it to the house and porch posts... it worked like a charm. - Judy

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

bump

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I did a very similar thing last year--I had a covered patio at my old house, so I bought some greenhouse plastic film and stapled it to the patio frame on all three sides. Worked like a charm!

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Judy, did you heat yours? That is exactly like mine except mine is actually glass enclosed. Might as well be plastic though with all the leaks. To fix is expensive, so I just put what needs to watered at that time under the drip or drips. I dont heat mine unless its going to get really cold at night like below freezing. The plants love it and I didin't water mine but once last winter because the humidity stayed so high.
Your looks good. I'll have to take a pic of mine

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I put a small electric heater out there set at the lowest temp so if it dropped below 35 it would come on.

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I think they like that really cool period, dont you?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I agree

Judy

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

Judy and all.

I have a small screened porch (8' x8') that is only open on 2 sides. One side faces east and the other side faces NW. I put up 6 ml plastic (construction type) on the 2 open sides and have moved potted plants in to the area. The floor is decking so I put down a little plastic at edges and a jute rug over the rest. It doesn't get that much sun (a little in the afternoon). Now don't laugh about it! It actually doesn't look too bad! I have several questions.

I'm right on the coast in zone 8B so we don't get as much frost/freeze as even a little inland and I have a fence that blocks a little wind. My intent is not as much to grow seedlings, but more to keep some of the more tender/tropicals going through the winter. I also have a variety of cuttings started of brugs, passion vine, blue sky vine, etc. Some cuttings have rooted and some have not.

Do ya'll think they'll need more light to stay healthy? I think I'll do like Judy and put a small heater out there for the colder times. The plastic is more for winds and freezing but I'd like to capture some heat for them. Should I add some sort of flourescent lighting or will a lamp(s) work to help with light and warmth?

All tips are appreciated!

Barbara

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

Hi again, Judy,

I just found your wonderful thread on the transformation of your wonderful front wrap around porch to over winter your plants and it helped me a bunch. Your house, grounds, porch and everything is wonderful!! What a neat gal you are!!

The concept of my porch is very much the same as yours, but I only have a single layer of plastic. Hmmm? But I appreciated the tip for covering the floor so I'll probably have to come up with something else for my flower. I still wonder about the light and heat so advice on this is appreciated. I can't open my door for heat like you could, you lucky girl.

Thanks again,
Barbara

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Barbara,

Without actually being there I don't think I can answer your questions, however if you are just wanting to winter-over the need for light is much less than if you had seedlings out there. Test your situation and see what you need to do to tweak it as you go along.

I put down tent flooring this last time around and it worked fine therefore I'm guessing your rug would work. If you are concerned, do you have any old sheets you could put down in the area with just plastic, anything will work so long as you are blocking the cold air from coming up. We're colder here and I did loose a couple of plants, I don't remember what they were but I concluded it was because they were sitting on the floor and I should have had them up off the floor. You can sit them on bricks, a piece of board, whatever is handy and cheap if you are concerned and it's an expensive plant.

Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.