HURRICANE FRANCES II

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

This is a continuation of the "Hurricane Frances" thread that was in the Parking Lot Forum.

Edited to add the link to the previous thread:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/453749/

This message was edited Sep 5, 2004 10:36 PM

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

glad you started a new one, the other one was taking forever to load.

I was hoping to find a posting here from my Fla. friends...check in soon, if yall can.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Good morning all. i have been outside observing the wind....quite windy here with some gusts but no rain at my house so far. I am pretty sure it will stay a tropical storm when it arrives here. It is heading a little east of panama city so we will be on the good side as will most dgers in the panhandle.
I am sure all of our friends and family in the florida penninsula are without power and will be for days. I sure wish at least one of them could check in and let us know what is going on.

weeds, whereabouts in Florida are you? I couldn't find Lynn Haven on the sketchy map that I have.

I hope that all you get is some rain for your garden! Take care.

(Edited to add):

Judith - are you going to be okay where you are?

This message was edited Sep 6, 2004 7:43 AM

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

LSP, I am in Panama City.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

I just took a ride to good ole WinnDixie, had to have a tomato and all the produce stands were closed. It was interesting...the carts (there were lots of other peeps there too) were blowing all over the parking lot...one just rolled down the middle of the street to the intersection. Quite fasinating. The winds are picking up here and it is raining so I will stay inside as soon as I cut my bananas...the whole tree fell over so it is time to cut them!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Oh weeds...... with the good comes the bad! :( Have you brought all your flying missiles in?

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Not all but am watching the wind...I have so many things to bring in and I am just too old for that...just hoping the neighbors want them!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

lol..... by which means???

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

WIND silly

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Better phone them to watch out for delivery! :S

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Special Delivery.......Mr. Rogers......

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

lol....I was thinking along the lines of heads up and be prepared to grab and /or duck...esp if it's your white BOP!

p.s. I've been telling your plants here how very lucky they are right now!! ;)

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Yes they are....all the big ole leaves are getting tattered, but it doen't matter.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Yup....if that is the worst that happens you will be doing very well!

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

Our metal shed is full of plants as is the dinning room table. Spotted a dat pod that split yesterday so I cut it and brought it in to finish ripening. Last night I had 7 brugs open up on 3 different bushes....5 more are likely to open tonight if they don't get blown to smitherens.

Connie..how are your pups? So far my crew is just passed out and not nutso. That will probably change though. I'll have to waller on the floor with them so they can all be close to Mom. LOL

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Dang...I just posted on the first thread and thought I was here...Maybe I'll just copy and paste here! LOL

How's the weather in the panhandle now? I'm so glad it's almost over here. This has been the longest weekend!

Here's the info from the other thread:

Hellllooooo! Man am I glad to be back! We still have no power, us and another 194,000 people in our area. My neighbor has health problems and TECO got her power restored. I sit here and look longingly at her lights knowing she has HOT WATER and her pumps run for water and showers. The generator has really helped us and we can watch TV again now that cable has been restored. We went all night with just a radio to tell us what was happening

We're still getting some strong gusts and rain but the bands are (seem) to be getting further apart. Our land is pretty flooded, we've had tons of rain dumped on us from the back side of the storm. The weather has been worse on this side than the front, but it looks like the worst has finally passed!

My neighbor and I took a walk to see if we could find any power line problems so TECO would respond faster. No such luck but we did find a squirrel nest with 3 babies in it. One was on the ground outside the nest and didn't live but the other 2 are now warm and fed. I hope the pet stores are open tomorrow so I can get the proper food and bottles. No chance of that today.

I see Frances has made landfall again?? Connie and the rest how's your weather now? Here's hoping she'll blow by y'all quickly!

Stacey

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Hey ginger and floridian...glad to see everybody posting. We called my aunt in tampa a few mins ago and she has electicity and is fine...the flooding did not get her. I was reading about Lutz and a tree down somewhere, sure there are more than one but was worried about you! Good ole generator and Paul too!
Ginger, we are fine...the worst is to the east of us, my pups have no clue what is going on. They want to go for a "walkie" around the hood!
I have been outside messing around but to wet and yucky so am back here at Dave's instead of cleaning like I am supposed to do.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Happy to *see* you again Floridian and Ginger_H!

Yes, I too was wondering how the animals reacted during the storm.

My kitties take thunderstorms pretty well, but I think they would be quite jumpy with gale-force winds (and debris) smacking against the plywood. I would be too, come to think of it! LOL.

Jean

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

No word from Pati or BT yet, they said: there was two feet of water on Ft Pierce's main st; and the marina is a disaster; and is that where the roof blew off the school/shelter?

Good to hear from Floridian, MollyMc, Ginger, for that matter you tooo Weeds - narrow miss hunh.

Anybody here any specifics for the Daytona Area? Got shirtail family all over around there and no word yet

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Wish they had generators. :-|

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

No news from Daytona but I am sure it is the same wind, floods and no power.

Auburn Hills, MI(Zone 6a)

glad to see everyone is still ok..

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Hey cacolos...you have been with us through it all....thanks! What does your name mean?

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm glad the you guys made it through Frances and to see you posting.
I think it may be a while before hearing from Patti. My sis who also lives in fort pierce finally called after a long period of nothing. She says it is impossible to even get a signal for her cell. She headed south first thing this morning to Miami for a hotel, food, shower, air conditioning and a long shower for the night. Fort Pierce is without water, power and phone. My sis has to cross 2 bridges to get to the island she lives on in Ft. P. and they are not letting anyone across. The national guard is all that can get through to that area at the moment so it depends on where Patti is in Ft. P. She also said on the ride that there were people in line for blocks to get food from the trucks.
Dott

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Is Pati the only one we have not heard from?

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

BurriedTreasure near Tampa I think.

weeds,, well the name means

cac= my initials
olos= a nick name I got ( yellow shots,, solo cups I used,, long story but it stuck)

I like weeds,, I saw many of your I yanked out of the garden today !!!

I figured,, I'm not directly effected by the storm (family is in the Carolina's) and anyone who lives there might need some mental restore when all said and done,, so wanted to let everyone know that we are here for them,,

cheryle

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I think anyone that has been thru this long storm will need some mental restore. Talked to my daughter in Boynton Beach today. No power since Friday, they unboarded several windows to let fresh air in today. Went out into the yard and found a lot of "red and Pink Berry-like branches" that blew out of the tree branches,which she brought in in a vase to cheer things up. I don't know anything about Fla. flora and neither does she. Hope they are not toxic or anything. They can't go anywhere, and are running low on ice. There is a railroad crossing two houses away from them and the automatic signal gate is down and it has been "BEEP-BEEP-ing" for 12 hours. She says it has her about nuts. This is her first Hurricane and she is learning a lot. - Her and her husband and their new puppy. Thank God they are safe.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Oh my seeds...she took a major part of that hurricane! So glad she is safe, if mentally worn out. And with a puppy too! Tell her we are thinking about her and hope that dang beep beep stops.

good to hear se_eds

I know they wont get hit as hard, but tornados and flooding is enough,,
we talked to my brothers in lower/mid SC and they said they are hazardous weather/ floods watches now,, I told him to get to the store and stock up on what ever you can afford to get... and make sure he has enough water and meds and stuff,, my other borthers called they said they have been to the stores already... my aunts in NC are not worried yet,, but said they will be going to the stores tomorrow to make sure they have stuff,, and to check on my grandfather as well,, I worry about him the most,,

take care all !!

cheryle

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

i heard from molly this morning - she can't post any more cuz her phone lines are now dead - caught under the mango tree - but is looking forward to being back online again in a few days....

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Hey HH and all. Bell South came over this morning and restrung my phone line. I was so surprised they got here so quickly.

Landlord came over and cut up those mango branches and hauled them out to the street for pickup.

Weather today was really good. A little rain but mostly sunny skies with a nice breeze.

We seem to have good drainage here in the new neighborhood. Yesterday was a lot of rain and more wind of course so we spent another day inside. But no flooding happened at my house.

We never lost power for more than a few seconds at a time, just the phone line.

Now, I need to see what's happening with Ivan. We are leaving the storm shutters on waiting for him.

Molly
:^)))

Blooms -- what is "shirttail" family? I've never heard that expression before.

And se_eds, I'd tell your daughter to get a BIG stick or branch and beat that RR crossing 'beep beep' thing to death (and say that the rain/winds from Frances must have damaged it). LOL.

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh, Molly, so good to hear that you're OK. We've been worried.

I think just maybe that Frances will bid most of FL a fond farewell by tomorrow. I'm sure glad. I had enough already! And we haven't even had problems, other than being shut up inside the house.

I don't know how bad the garden will be battered, as I can't see much of it from the windows. What I could see is in the garage, or up against the house!

But the worrying about everyone has been nerve-wracking I'm sure to all of us.

I'm sure glad you didn't suffer too much damage at your new place. It's good to at least find out the challenges there, anyway.

Hugs to all in the path of Frances, as well as the wonderful folks who've supported us throughout this whole mess.

Here's hoping Ivan takes a flying leap way way down deep into the innards of the earth for a visit to torment the devil, before wreaking havoc on all us poor drowned rats hanging on to this shakey soggy ship!

Lookout, GA! Here she comes! I wish it were otherwise, but won't be sorry to see the backside of her. Hope she treats you all kindly.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

LaSwe'pea
Shirtail [or shirttail] family are those relations that are connected by extended marriage threads or even marriages that have come asunder but they're still family you care about. ie: my x-husbands brother's wife's family. Or my cousin's husbands' sister's kids. nice bunch.
LOL izzat clear? ~Bloooms

Yes ma'am. Thank you. I get it now!

Now I have to go and write a letter to my sister's husband's brother's ex-mother-in-law, bless her heart. LOL.

That mango tree is a big old one. I didn't really think it would do this.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Here's where the big limbs landed.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.