Caladiums

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I am digging up my caldiums early this year to make room for fall stuff. I have Aaron (white) that will take a lot of sun, and some pink ones (don't know what they are called) that get as tall as the Aaron and then some smaller pink ones. Would anyone like all of these bulbs to store until next year? I would rather send out only one box so the first person who sends an email will get them. Thanks!
Terrie

I'll post a picture here and then a second picture.

Thumbnail by trunnels
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's the second picture.

Thumbnail by trunnels
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, and I meant to say I will send them for postage. :-)

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Terrie! You got POSTAGE!! :-)

~julie~
P.S. Still haven't emailed you with the pics of the coleus...but I'm STILL excited with the goodies you sent. Probably won't get an email sent until sometime tomorrow. ;-)

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Great, Julie. I'll cut them back today and box up the bulbs. They will go out tomorrow. I'll email you with the postage amount.
Terrie

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Julie,
Sent the bulbs today! You have mail.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

LOL...you didn't take any chances, did ya? I got the email and, uh...oh yeah, two thread messages. (I don't blame you...this old lady *could* be a bit forgetful...you know, like forgetting to "watch" important threads. :-D :-D

Thanks BIG bunches, Terrie!

~julie~

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

Terrie, those caladiums are just BEAUTIFUL!!!
Too bad I missed this post (smile).
~ Carole

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Carole.
The white with green edged ones are the jumbo Aaron. They are my favorite and have performed the best for me and can take the most sun. Usually get them at Calloways or Northhaven Gardens.
Terrie

Dublin, OH(Zone 5a)

Julie,

I see you live in WI. How do you overwinter caldiums? Thanks.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Hi Drop...This is actually the first winter I've had the caladiums. But since I've had very good luck overwintering cannas and other rhizomes and tubers, I'm going to give it a try.

I got this information from site on the Internet...but, as usual, I forgot to make sure I had the documentation for the site like.

Fall Care and Storage
qoute -

Caladiums can be treated as annuals and left in the garden to be killed by cold weather. However, it is possible to save caladium tubers for planting again the following year. In the fall with the onset of cool nights, the leaves will begin to fade and droop. Before the leaves have lost all color and before soil temperatures drop below 55 o F, dig the tubers that are to be saved, retaining the foliage, and sort them by color or cultivar. Spread them out in an area protected from rain and cold, and allow them to dry for a week. Do not place in full sun. After leaves have dried, cut them from the tubers. Store the tubers in mesh orange or onion bags; or pack lightly in dry sphagnum moss and store them where the temperature will not fall below 60 oF. end quote

From what I've learned from storing the cannas and dahlias, the temperatures are critical as is the amount of moisture in the storage areas. I'm fortunate in that I have several different 'micro-climates' in my basement...so it shouldn't be too hard to find the right one for each type of roots.

I think the fun part is going to getting my caladiums started next spring. I plan to start them in pots on heat mats since it took 'forever' to get them going in the cool wet spring we had here this year. I believe I read that they won't break dormancy until the soil temp is at least a constant 70 deg F. (That doesn't come early here in Wisconsin, believe me. :-)

Hope this helps

~julie~

Dublin, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the prompt and very helpful response, Julie. May be I could do the same with Begonia. I know I need to lift and store them in a dark, above freezing temperature environment. I didn't know about the drying part.

Julie, do you need to provide moisture to the sphagnum moss?

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Drop...I think that the caladium tubers are supposed to be kept dry. I'm not an expert on them, at all. All I can tell you is the ones I purchased this past spring were very dry. I'll probably keep an eye on mine this winter to make sure they are "wrinkling" from dehydration. Other than that, I'm just going to store them in a mesh bag so I can see what's going on without having to dig through moss to get at them.

Boy, the begonia is another one that I'm just a beginner with. I'll see if I can dig up some info for you.

In case it looks like I'm just "beginning" at everything...that's because I am. LOL Now that I'm retired, my life revolves around the gardening I haven't been able to do for the past 35 years.
:-)

~julie~

P.S. Edited to say "You're welcome...and glad I could help a little."

This message was edited Sep 24, 2004 12:27 PM

Dublin, OH(Zone 5a)

You and me both, Julie. I just started last fall to do any serious gardening. Planted my first rose and first daylilies this year. Came here and got addicted to everything. Whenever someone shows a picture, I go "Ohhhh, I want that!"

I planted some begonia this spring. I don't think they are full grown so I want to give them a good chance to come to muturity next year.

Look what I found.
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/RG311.pdf

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Ohhh Ohhh ohhhh....X's & O's for that link Drop! I've been collecting pages like that over the summer for my "Winterizing" notebook! You know, I've found the most useful information at many of the State University Extension sites. They really fill in the blanks, don't they?

And as for the "I want that" syndrome...hehehehe...me too! The only difference might be that *I* ordered "it!" :-D I'm just about broke now...but at least come spring I'll have a few things to trade for the rest of my "I want THAT" items! ;-)

Keep in touch!

~julie~

Dublin, OH(Zone 5a)

When I added everything up on my wish list, I was in shock. And I thought gardening is a healthy habit.

I haven't started preparing for overwinterizing, yet. Better get started.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Yeah...I just took at look at our State Extension site and saw the first frost is due Oct 4-10. :-O I got to get busy, too! (Oh...and do yourself a favor...*NEVER* add up the money you spend on flowers! Think of it as an "investment" NOT and expenditure! :-D )

~julie~

Dublin, OH(Zone 5a)

Another good advice! :-p

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

While drying out some of my caladium bulbs, I forgot and left them outside for 2 nights. Lowest temp was about 39f. Any hope for them or did I just kill them?

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

I'd put them in a flat and put them in a warm spot and see what happens. I have one flat going now. I decided I didn't want to wait for mine until the soil temp outside got to 70° :-D. Let us know how yours do after being left out. I'd really like to know their lowest temp tolerance.

Terrie...I've really got the itch to get those Aarons and Pink Beauties going...I just don't have much more room after all the IBLF (indoors before last frost) seeds are planted. :-D (Thanks again...you've really contributed to my shade gardens!)

~julie~

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

You're very welcome, Julie. Hope they come up for you. Emily, I don't think 39 will kill them. I agree with Julie's advice. :-)

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Okay, I'll give it a shot. One other question. What kind of insecticide is safe to spray on the bulbs? They have bugs on them I'd like to get rid of before planting.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't know the answer to that one. Julie?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

trunnels luv your caladiums and your golden coleus. I'm going to have to see if I can get some neat caladiums when I'm down for the Florala swap.
:) Donna

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Re bugs on your bulbs. Why not soak them in ten parts Chlorox (javex in Canada) to 90 parts water. totally immerse them for minimum 30 mins. Then rinse well before planting. that should get rid of your baddies.

We always do this with all new lily bulbs and all iris before planting. Do not want to spread the dread lily beetle or equally dread iris borer.

We buy bags of these from Costco or Walmart.

Inanda with far too many lilies & iris in pots inside.

This message was edited Mar 8, 2005 8:38 PM

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Okay, I'll give that a try.

Recently I accidently put a small white calla tuber through the wash after I left it in the pocket of a pair of jeans. I didn't expect it to ever grow but decided to plant it anyway. Just poked its head up this morning.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

That's toooo funny. What was it doing in your pocket..lol.
:) Donna

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Donna.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Emily...that's hilarious! I wonder if the seeds I was collecting last fall are going to sprout in the pockets of my shirts and jackets. LOL

~julie~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.