Can you Believe THIS???

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Just out sheer ignorance, I stuck a shoot of Nasturtium in a bottle of water...LOOK what happened!

I'm sure that some of you already knew that Nasturtiums would root from a cutting...but I didn't! :-)

~julie~
P.S. This is a "vine-type" variety

Thumbnail by julie88
New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

How long did it take to get the roots, ~julie~?

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

It only took a little over a week for that slip to set roots. Cool, eh?
Thanks, NW for the reply

~julie~

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Sorry I missed this one the first time around! Well, you learn something new every day! Our season is too short to really utilize this propagation method, but it's sure worth sharing!

Seward, AK

Oh no! Now I'm going to have to try that one. Rooting Nastys, what a hoot!
The other Carol

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Pretty cool, eh? I know you can do that with mimulus stems, but I hadn't tried nasties. Maybe that should be a project next summer... what roots in water!

Seward, AK

I'm potting up those various mints that fell into the toilet planter and rooted on the porch today

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Be sure and label them, Carol. I've got several types rooted and stashed in one of the cold frames, too. The specialty mint don't usually winter over for me. I've had good luck with the chocolate and the ginger mint, though.

Seward, AK

The specialty mints really are helped by staying out of the wet rain, sleet, snow in the greenhouse. When we get to the 10F range that's when I mulch them to keep them frozen 'til the real spring thaw and not try to leaf themselves out in the bitter cold sunny winter days.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Oh, gotch! I had most of my mints in one of my lexan cold frames last winter and most died. It was pretty cold that winter... they shouldn't have had a saturation issue. Wetness is one of the reasons I cover my beds with plastic. I store my potted plants in mesh flats so they can drain, but the ground freezes underneath and come spring, the pots fill with water and the poor little guys drown. I had better luck last year, generally, with the plastic covers.

Seward, AK

Of course the raised beds in the greenhouse help wick away any of the moisture that plagued yours this spring.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Well, one would hope the same thing would be true with the hooped covers over the beds, but they don't supply as much protection from temperature variation, I suppose.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Those Nasty leaves taste so good in a salad.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Hi guys!
Well, it's nearly November and my 'nasty' plants are still alive....still in water (LOL) and still growing. Actually, it's *miniaturized* itself...but you don't think that could have anything to do NO fertilizer, do you? LOL It looks like I'll have plenty of stems to create more cuttings for spring plants though. OH and I even had one stem producing flowers.

I think I like this method of making/keeping these annuals through the winter.

~julie~

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Well, keep us posted, Julie! They say that nasties produce more blooms in poor soil, so maybe they'll be happy without fertilizer!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.