Crested Elephant Ear (Xanthosoma jeoquinii lineatum)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

That is one gorgeous plant!

New addition?

Ric

Northern California, CA

Fairly recent.....I think I got it around the end of May, had it in a holding bed, planted it one place, then another. Pretty traumatized when I finally got it where I wanted it.......took about a month for it to perk up and now it's taking off big time. Pretty pretty leaves, especially when the sun shines through them. It is in full sun here in 10a with no evidence of leaf burn or crispy edges.

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Candy,

I just received a nice piece of this plant in a trade this week. Can you tell me how yours is doing at this time? Did you keep it in the shade for awhile, until it got over the shock of transplanting? Has it grown much this past year?
Any info would be appreciated.

thanks, Donna

Northern California, CA

No sign of it yet, it has been unseasonably chilly this year. (The EE's, gunnera, cannas all die back here during the rainy months) The canna next to it and a small gunnera species on the other side are both back already. It is in full sun at the edge of a pond (not in the pond), never had any leaf burn or browning once I left it alone. :-)

Thanks for the info Candy.
Donna

Northern California, CA

Morning Donna -

Just an update on one of my favorite plants, Very slow getting started this year. It's been unseasonably cool and wet this year, raining again this morning as we start the second week of June. Very bizarre.

I'm hoping it is just waiting for some consistantly warm temps to get going.

Thumbnail by Happenstance
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Looks like it spread out some.
It should be stunning if you ever get some sun.

btw? What are you using for labels there?
Looks like it held up fairly well.

Ric

Northern California, CA

Morning Ric -

Those are the standard metal markers from Paw Paw Everlast: http://www.everlastlabel.com/catalog.htm
Great prices and shipping is included in the price, this is style "M" 100 markers @ $23.10 incl s/h. I also like style "C"

They are just about permanent and I use them in conjuction with my P-Touch label maker. The labels are printed on clear tape and last forever without fading. (Well maybe not forever, but some are up to 4 years old and look brand new. The model I have hooks up to the PC with the ability to build a database, export it to Excel, prints all kinds of other labels also.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/405905/

Northern California, CA

Another update on my favorite "ears".......still very slow going. We finally have some warm temps and they seem to be perking up at last. :-) Other ears in the garden are 8 feet tall, while these still remain very small.

Thumbnail by Happenstance

Hey Candy,

You must have ESP. I was admiring my new EE just yesterday and was thinking of this thread to post to you how mine is doing. I will take a pic today of mine and show you. I only have 3-4 leaves so far, but it is a pretty one for sure.

Donna

Northern California, CA

It's just a beautiful leaf and doesn't mind the full hot sun.....but appears NOT to like cold weather at all. I checked back to the original image and that was in September, so I'll be interested to see how big this gets by September of this year. :-)

Love to see a picture of your "baby".

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It's been a weird Spring/Summer about everywhere Candy.

We had well below freezing temps til right about the scheduled last frost date.
We've been in the upper 80's/low 90's since.

The EE's love it but the cooler weather perennials are flowering and gone in days instead of weeks.

I think your Crested's look great myself.
It appears to be showing a nice pattern.

I'm thinking they'll be way larger than in last September's shot.

Ric

Ok, finally took a picture this morning of my Crested EE. It's doing well, but doesn't look as full as yours Candy. I have mine in filtered sun, under my Rose arbor, is this ok?

Donna

Thumbnail by SoCal

I also took a picture of my Mickey Mouse too. The person who traded with me also gave me this one. It's cute, and I hope it starts getting a little bigger soon.
Donna

Thumbnail by SoCal
Northern California, CA

Donna - Love your Mouse! Too cute. And your Crested looks great for a young plant. It's got some height to it which mine has yet to achieve this year.

Hiya Ric!
The diminutive size (height) of mine is what I'm concerned about. Just doesn't seem to have any vigor. I did have some gopher activity in this bed earlier in the season, which may have contributed to its slow growth.....along with the cold weather. I'll keep you guys posted on its progress.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hi Candy!
Could the Gunnera roots be causing a problem?
They do suck up the water and nutrients.
I know my Petasites raised heck w/ my Hosta last year.
Ric

Northern California, CA

That's something that I have considered Ric, but it is a bog-like bed on the edge of the pond with plenty of nutrients and water. It could be that the Gunnera (it's a small variety that only gets a couple of feet tall) is "strangling" the tubers though..........if the Crested is still small in another month, I'll move the Gunnera and see if that helps. :-)

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

Well both of you Candy and Donna I think your plants look great! I have a dark one in my home, ya think I could move it outside?
Annie

Annie,
You'll have to wait for Candy or someone else to answer your question, as I am very new to these plants.

Candy, yes I noticed that mine seemed to be a little taller than yours, but yours was a lot fuller than mine. lol

Donna

Candy, where did you do? LOL, Annie

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

I had one of these once, and took it up for the winter, only for it not to make it. :-(( I sure wish I knew where I could find another. Any suggested vendor?

Northern California, CA

Annie - I don't understand your question.

Quoting:
Candy, where did you do?

Which dark one do you have? I've lost two planted in ground, but the one in the pond does great.....I think the gophers have been dining on the tubers.

QueenB - Here's just one vendor I found:
http://www.aandbtropicals.com/page14.html
Try doing a Google search for additional online vendors.

LOL! Sorry, it was: where did you go!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

HI, I just got some... still in pots because I just found out what they were.

Candy, you said you have one in a pond. I have other EE not in my lake, but in my garden, and they seem to be doing OK with the moisture that I give them and our rains. Would you still recommend that I put mine at the edge of my lake or in the garden?

Thanks,

Hap

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.