Tropical Storm Ivan

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Adding more insult to injury, Ivan now upgraded to a Tropical Storm. Will there ever be an end to this hurricane season?

Quoting:
11 AM AST FRI SEP 03 2004

...IVAN GRADUALLY STRENGTHENING OVER THE TROPICAL ATLANTIC...

AT 11 AM AST...1500Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM IVAN WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 9.6 NORTH...LONGITUDE 32.9 WEST OR ABOUT 745 MILES...1200 KM...SOUTHWEST OF THE CAPE VERDE ISLANDS.

IVAN IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 18 MPH...30 KM/HR...AND THIS GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 45 MPH... 75 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. GRADUAL STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 60 MILES... 95 KM FROM THE CENTER.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1003 MB...29.62 INCHES.

Thumbnail by darius
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Uhhh, boy. Ivan seems to be starting out a little futher south. Heading for the gulf?

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Yep, traditionally a storm heading through the Caribbean ends up in the Gulf...after it crosses Cuba. If it misses Cuba then it generally heads for TX or into Campeche Bay

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Thankfully we are a long way from the coast!

Latest forecast I heard is that Ivan is expected to be upgraded to a hurricane within 24 hours. Here's the latest track.

Thumbnail by darius
Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

Oh, how our minds work!

I looked at the last picture and can see what most people see.

But in MY mind, this is what I see. LOL.

Thumbnail by LouisianaSweetPea
Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

LSP, In my mind, that is what I fear also.

:0(

Jean, Lisa... that fear may keep you safe because you will prepare early.

Latest track shows it may cross Cuba.

Thumbnail by darius
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

One of our meteorologists is already calling this storm Ivan the Terrible and says there is every indication she will be a major storm. Here they aren't even guessing on projected path saying the projections are all over the map. Sigh...

That's because none of the various storm computer "models" agree. There seem to be many different universities and gov't models using a variety of collected data. Aren't you glad you have already anchored the travel trailer?

I just had an email from Dea calling it Ivan the Terrible, too, and she's in MD!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes the trailer will hopefully be safe. We still have lots to do. I'm always surprised by the number of potted plants we have but most are in. Still have a few trips around the property...there's always just one more thing to do! LOL It will be nice to finally be able to sit down and relax??? Ha!

I think there is no relaxing unless you live in Nebraska, LOL.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

For those of you who may be in it's path, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Judy & Bob

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

OH please.. hope it will go other way not to LA..

Our new house have no insurance! We are angry at those all insurances cause they won't cover it unless we finish the house!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

You better hurry!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

another problem,
they will not write any coverage as long as there are hurricanes or tropical depressions in the Gulf :0(

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

yes that what I think of.. sick of insurances!

Golden, CO(Zone 5b)

It's no longer a TS, upgraded to hurricane status.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Terre, I'm glad all we have to complain about is a little 'early' snow. And it's 'UP' there on the mtns. In fact I'm going to go try pics. ~Blooms

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

The first snow thread? Yipee!

Belmont, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm never going to get my DH to retire in FLA now!!

Hope that one peters out real quickly.

Jay (smooth)

Golden, CO(Zone 5b)

Yeah, Blooms, I won't complain til we get another 4 footer or it dips to 20 below. Then I'll whine a bit. But its nothing in comparison to what Florida is going through.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Ivan is catagory 3 now!

Auburn Hills, MI(Zone 6a)

I agree, I will deal with the snow and ice storms here than a hurricane !! bless those people in FL,, you all have been pounded way to many time this year,,,,

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

It's a 4 now.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

ruh roh

I hope it fizzles out !!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Oh weeds! :( Is it the one that they think might enter the Gulf of Mexico?

I have not found much about this one yet,,, but its another big one,,

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I think I answered my own question looking at the map above........I hope it too runs into something like Frances did and sloooooooooooooooooows down!!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Our local weather guy now says Ivan is headed for Florida!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

When they get to a 4 I get scared so will be watching this one closely and will run real fast if it heads my way and I hope everyone else will too!

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

Me too!!!

This one is giving me fits. Even the local meteorologists seem concerned.

Belmont, NC(Zone 7b)

Prayers for all of you that it suddnely fizzles out.
Jay

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

weeds said " ruh roe"..
chuckle....chuckle....

reeds, roux much rooby roux? giggle

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Hey Lisa.......gotta get ready for dem hurricanes!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I am less than 20 miles from the Gulf. Close enough to start worry.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Trois, didn't realize you were so close to the wa wa! All I can say is RUN!

Edited to say: Just looked your town on the map..you can drive over to galveston and I will go to the beach and I bet we could see each other!!

This message was edited Sep 6, 2004 8:22 AM

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

i'mma gettin ready for dem hurricanes...watchin and waitin....and hopin' and prayin...just let the thing go 'poof'..off the face of the earth...

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Does anybody wonder why South America never gets hit by a hurricane? Or does it and we just don't know about it?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.