Heating with Pellets

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

I was wondering about using stove pellets to burn in the greenhouse instead of wood. I tried to find a used pellet stove, but couldn't , so does anyone else have any idea's as to what I could burn them in. It is too expensive to buy a new pellet stove.

Patricia

Bethel, OH(Zone 6a)

Patricia,
What is a pellet stove, I have never heard of them. I am a newby on greenhouse info. I am having a greenhouse built for me this weekend and am interested in different ways to heat it.

Cindy

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Cindy it is a fireplace like stove that is heated with pellets. Or like a free standing wood stove.

Patricia

Glenmoore, PA

I would like to discourage you from using any kind of heat other than a gas heater that is vented.

Coal, kerosene wood and pellet stoves deplete the oxigen inside the greenhouse and the plants will suffer because of the lack of it.

Last year I wanted to "help" my gas heater to give the greenhouse a boost in heat because it was a very cold day, in the teens. So, I fired up my backup kerosene heater and went back in the house. About 30 minutes later, the temperature in the greenhouse had dropped 10 degrees. I went to see what was wrong and found that the gas heater was not working. I figured out I was very lucky I had started the kero heater just before my gas heater went belly up. I called for service and the technician was fooling around with the heater (only 4 months old) for over 3 hours and could not find the problem.

I suggested to turn the kerosene heater off and vent the place a bit. 10 minutes later the gas heater was working fine. Solution... the kerosene heater ate up all the oxigen and the gas heater could not burn without it. While I have not fired up the kero heater since, I keep it in the greenhouse, just in case but I will never try to outsmart my gas heater.

Frank

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

you can buy the Pellet auger and controls seperate and install them in a barrol stove made from 55 gal. drums--if you do use wood [pellets] you can put a piece of sheet metal in the wall of the greenhouse, and mount the front of the stove in that and feed it and draw fresh air from the out side.--some times corn is cheeper than pellets -and that will burn in a pellet stove also.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you all for you idea's. It has sure given me alot to think about.

Patricia

Walnut Creek, CA

Hi jerodsmom

This is your lucky day!!

I see you might be looking for a pellet stove -

I just happen to have a GOOD used one...AND I live in Walnut Creek! How about that?

One of the people who replied to your query is a little mistaken! They claimed that ONLY vented gas stoves do not deplete the oxygen. WRONG!! Most pellet stoves draw their combustion air into the firebox through a little tube sticking out the rear. It is usually very simple project to conect a tube (flexible or not) to the stove that will admit air from the outside!

Hope to hear from you -
fphinney

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

more than that... Plants produce oxygen... they dont use it like we do... We however do need some and if your stove eats all the oxygen then you may have a problem on a personal level. I hope you did go get that one from Walnut Creek... Its what 40 miles away...

Dansville, NY(Zone 6a)

from my readings plants do both , make O2 and Co2 or use O2 / Co2
depending if its ay or night.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.