San Joaquin Valley, California Raisin Dry'n Weather

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

It's hot and not a cloud in the forecast for the next 10 days (at least here in central San Joaquin Valley..just a few miles north can make a big difference in amt. of rainfall, so can't speak for northerly valley neighbors) ...good for all those grapes going down on the ground..and the ones goin into a bottle LOL...not to mention the figs and almond harvest...lots of dust in the air from now on until tule fog arrives a few months from now. . . Oh, and thanks for the new forum...should be interesting.. Janet

This message was edited Sep 1, 2004 7:08 PM

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I love these little "snapshots" of weather elsewhere and the descriptions of what's being harvested. Thanks.

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Janet, are you clairvoyant or do you have a crystal ball? Who'll win in November?
The weatherman just flips a coin for tomorrow ºvº

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

It's always a gamble here...seems as soon as the first grape hits the dirt it's a magnet for rain, but this year everything is off...crop's early...lots of those thin high clouds and humidity..nothing like folks have in other parts of the country..so I won't complain.

Gardena, CA

Maybe we should start a new lotto game. When do you think we will get our first rain for the year. My guess would be the day before Thanksgiving. Anybody want to take a guess.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Know the Big Valley well, I'm from there and most of my extended family still live in San Joaquin & Stanislaus Counties.

Gardena, CA

Yep, I'm eating figs now and so are the birds. Pommegranites will be ripe in about 4 more weeks. We have been cool and below normal the whole month of August and all of a sudden, bam, the heat wave. TV says summer has finally arrived for Labor Day.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Yep- my tomatoes, squash, zukes, cukes and melons all succumbed to mildew- not from so rain! Just too much cool weather and clouds. And now summer hits us. Fun. : )

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I never see fresh figs here. :-(

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Why did you there then!!!

(I have nicknames for everyone but you- I just cannot bring myself to call you Dumb!!)

Gardena, CA

According to the book, figs should do well in your area. Have you tried planting any??? Once established, they are pretty much maintenance free. I only prune them in the winter and thats about it. Occasional water in the summer. Nothing better than a fresh fig right off the tree.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Why did I what? Ha, ha, its John

The first rain here (and in Gardena down the road) usually is my bithday present, on or around Nov. 6

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I'll have to check on the figs doing well here. We get down to single digits some years here and sub zero is not unheard of. Can figs handle that?

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

You left the SJ Valley, John? I love it there!

Please give me rain for your birthday, Ulrich!!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Yeah, I did. Left to work in Alaska in 1980.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

IW2D....Figs do well in Mediterranean type climate which parts of this valley come very close too...without the ocean part..he.he.he....as you're aware since you lived here once...so you're probably right about Texas...that's why you don't see them there..I used to live in San Joaquin County (Stockton) and my DS & DIL still reside there. Amazing the difference in gardening...still had the hot days, but alot more rain than Fresno area and alot of San Francisco Bay/Delta influence, breezes, etc., esp. in evenings....and gorgeous sunsets backdropping Mt. Tam...I think that's Happenstance's territory...

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Yes, it is drier where you are. In fact there used (70s) to be sagebrush on the west side of the valley. Then they brought water there and started developing agriculture there too. Very controversial at the time. I imagine the tumbleweed still blows around. Some of it was as big as a car if I remember correctly. Then there was the tule fog! Don't miss that!

Daisy, we'll do a rain dance.

My aunt had a fig tree on Long Island, NY (Zone 7) and we had fresh figs every summer.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Okay!! For your birthday a big ol' rain dance!

We could do one for DD's birthday too on Oct. 20th? : ) It always gets rained out.

Modi'in, Israel

Figs are a pretty "normal" garden tree here in Israel. They grow quite wide though, so make sure you have room for them to spread! Or constrict their root growth to keep them smaller. Here's one near us that is about 7 years old.

-Julie

Thumbnail by salvia_lover
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I could just say "no rain" every day and be accurate more than 90% of the time here. How many weathermen have that good of a record? ;-)

This summer has been less hot than what is typical, but it hasn't been cool by any stretch of the imagination.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Thats how I feel about our summer here on the southern plains. Cooler than normal but, not cool! I've disliked every summer since we've been here. Not this one.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Alright...Daisy and Ulrich....you can stop with the rain dance...I woke up this AM and what is outside?? CLOUDS.....we don't want them yet here....maybe try to get them sent down your way!!! ;p) Janet

This message was edited Sep 2, 2004 1:40 PM

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Not with the grapes/raisens on the ground you don't!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

We woke up to massive cloud cover today to it burned away. I do not mean 'we' as in Ulrich and I, BTW. LOL

Yesterday it was 87 and we went rollerblading on the beach- we could see a little dust cloud on the path ahead. When we got closer, we realized it was fog and went into it. We could not see the water, the cliff, oreward or backward and a helicopter came right over and we could hear him but see him. It was sooo strange.

And Ulrich was not rollerblading with me, btw. : )

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

The California coast!!

Yesterday it was 104. I stayed inside as much as possible.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

So would I. Isn't that typical for the coast? Everyone else accross the country is getting ready for fall while CA insists on one last heat wave in September.

Yep, pretty much. I usually figure on it being hot up until November. (Hot for me is over 85 degrees.) This is the time of year when it is hot, very dry, and windy.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Thats how I remember it.

Gardena, CA

Hi Daisy. I don't know about Ulrich, but it was foggy all morning till about 9:00, then Bam, the sun came out and it was all the way up to 84. Went to RHE yesterday and it was 10 degrees hotter there than at the bottom of the hill. Nothing like you guys up north in the Big Valley.

Yeah, I went skating too, but, I fell down.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

; )

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Getta boo-boo?

nada, just the opposite here from Gardena; sunny all morning, and overcast with wisps of fog now.
What is RHE?

Gardena, CA

RHE = Rolling Hills Estates, are you new to the South Bay ??

Hey, give me a few hours and your fog will be over here.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

It won't make it over that hill to me...

Been here since 1960. Heard of PV, LB, SF, etc but didn't know Rolling Hills rated an acronym. Besides, there are a lot of readers from far away wondering.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

I didn't know RHE either..

And you are just a skip and a hop, a hoot and a holler, a stones throw away from there!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.