Not a cloud in the sky here in central Israel ROTFL

Modi'in, Israel

LMAO because this is our dry season. People would be down-right FLABBERGASTED if it started to rain here now. :-) I sure would like that shock though..to give my poor garden a nice hosing off and rid it of some of the dust that settles all summer and which I can't completely get rid of with my little garden hose. :-)

But it's a very coodl evening ... just right for sitting outside and listening to the bugs chirp.

So WHY am I sitting here at the computer? Because it's after midnight and I'm really just checking in on the new forum before heading off to sleepyland.....

I hope all of you facing Frances are all battened down. Stay safe!

-Julie

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

Frances looks like a fearsome storm at this point. We happened to be in FL for Charley, which turned inland south of our place at the last moment, and I can tell you it is scary waiting on these big storms to arrive. Prayers to all in it's path.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Here I sit in the path of one of mother nature's biggest show. What a way to start on the new forum!!!!
Pati

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Julie, at least we get clouds every now and then. Summer is a long dry spell for the high desert areas of Utah. ~Blooms

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Julie, how long is your dry season?

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi, Julie. When is your wet season and how wet is it? (In both measurement systems.)

Modi'in, Israel

Of course, the Negev desert in the south and the Banyas forest in the north have slightly different start and stop points for teh dry/rainy seasons. But generally, here in Israel the rainy season trickles in starting late October and continues until it trickles out in late April. BUT the first 2 and last 2 months of that season are truly just spits and spurts. Only January and February can be counted on for lots of rain. And it's in those 2 months that we need to replenish the water supply in Lake Kinneret (Sea of Galilee) to sustain us for the rest of the year. From May until October not a single drop of rain fall on the country (except perhaps a 1 minute pathetic spit once or twice on either end of that spectrum ;-).

The dry season is really great for those who love sun. But for gardeners a drip system is a necessity so that the ground can get soaked in the late hours after the heat has dissipated and long enough before the heat starts again to allow the water to seep deep down into the roots beforeit gets evaporated. For grassy areas, we havea sprinkler of course, but that also has to be programmed for the wee wee hours (1 a.m.)

The rainy season sucks. Period. It's not like in Oklahoma (where I'm originally from) where it rains in the summer and the rain is warm and balmy and you can go for a walk in the sprinkling rain and not catch pneumonia doing so! Here rain is just plain COLD and wet and soggy. I always relish the rain coming down as I know our parched country needs every drop it can get, but it still sucks when you need to go out into that rain several times in one day. LOL But hey I'll take the disadvantages of a soggy rain over falling on my backside twice a day to and from university on slippery as snot ice for 4 months straight (my pre-Israeli 2-year experience in Calgary! ROTFL)....although I DO miss that snow! :-)

Blooms, we get clouds teasing us every now and tehnin summer too. But they never keep their promises no matter how black and threatening they look LOL

-Julie

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Sounds pretty much like Californa's lower elevation Mediterranean climate. Have you checked into correlating your climate with the USDA zones yet? Might get some help with that in the European forum. Some of them have done just that!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Your weather sounds exactly like mine. However, I love the rainy season. How hot and cold does it get where you are?

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Salvia, do you still grow those wonderful Jaffa oranges?, as a child in England my favourite fruit were those deliciously sweet and juicy Jaffa oranges [ from Israel]...I managed to purhase two from a nursery here in San Diego County [Calif] and am still patiently waiting for those delicious Jaffa's to show up...first year the frost got one..so that one went the journey, the 2nd one I have pampered [ 3 yrs now] so hoping to get some fruit next year..they seem to be very frost tender here as citrus grows well, even grapefruit...however, now they are larger and bigger [ and aclimatised] I am sure they will not let me down, I won't let them [smile]

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.