Moss growing in my flowerbeds

Bradford, PA(Zone 5a)

This looks like a great place. I have moss growing in my flowerbeds. They are mostly shady and we have had a lot of rain. How do I get rid of this stuff? I like moss, I really do, but not in my flowerbeds. Someone suggested lime to make the soil more alkaline. Would that help? Thanks

Buffalo, NY(Zone 5a)

Pyrola, I don't have the answer to help you, but if you could get a picture, everyone helps I noticed with a picture posting, easier to diagnose I think. Also try going to the organic forum and reposting this question there, hope you get an answer.

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

Why don't you just take it off and put it on your pots as it keeps the moisture in, stopping it from evaporating from the top.

Does that sound daft? It's not meant to, as I do it and don't have to water my pots every day ... only every 3rd day, saving both water and root shock.

Wintermoor

Bradford, PA(Zone 5a)

I have decided to keep the moss, at least some of it. Someone pointed out that it is pretty, stays green in the Winter and doesn't take nutrients from the other plants. In one bed I have a pile of small stones I tossed in the corner. The "shaggy-carpet" type of moss has grown between the stones and really is quite pretty. Yesterday, in the woods, I saw a rock totally covered with moss and a fern growing on top. Was very pretty! So if I decide I don't want some of the moss,I'll take it out. Otherwise, it will be a welcome part of my garden. Not the first time I have given in to Nature's choice. Thanks for your suggestions. I do appreciate the help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.