Tis The Season Not To Be Jolly !

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Here we go again! Frances seems to be heading my way this trip. I sure hope it veers out to sea but the projections don't seem to predict that course. We live in a large mobile home on school property in Pembroke Pines, Florida. It is really a great place to live. My son is a police officer and by arrangement with the school board he can live on the property as a deterrent to vandalism. As we all know a mobile home is no place to be in a hurricane and we are in a wide open space. We are west of Hollywood Fl. and SW, by 10 miles, of Ft. Laud and also 10 miles from the coast, so whatever course Frances takes we will get a good portion of it. One good part is the school, Pembroke Pines Elementary, is a designated shelter but does not allow pets. I have already made arrangements for Scooter my Shih-zsu and Polly my Double Yellow (25 yr. old) Amazon Parrot with my vet to board them there thanks to your past advice when I was concerned for the safety of my babies. Either way I would never leave them! My DIL and my 17 mos. old grandson and myself will take shelter in the school but my son will remain on duty as this is SOP for all police and fire personnel. I've been thru this before and as a father I always wanted my family togeather but my son can not be with us. I do worry about him. They patrol till the wind reaches 60 mph and then return to the station for shelter. It is the time that he is out there that worries me but I was the same way. I am very proud of him. For now I am watching hurricane Frances very, very closely.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Yeah, Tplant, I hear you. Frances was upgraded to 140 MPH sustained winds a few minutes ago. Glad you have already made arrangements for your pets, and that you will move to the school shelter. Mobile homes are not safe in a hurricane, esp. a Cat4.

Some folks are already posting here for Frances:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/453534

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

My thoughts and prayers are with all of those involved in this storm. Also those in the Gaston storm up the coastline.

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

Tplant, I hope you do okay with this storm.

You are so smart to leave the mobile home (if I lived in one, I'd leave for a Category ONE storm, much less one like Frances) AND to make arrangements beforehand for your animals. Good planning!

Are you far from the school shelter? Don't wait too long to evacuate if necessary. I'm just worried about you and yours. Keep us updated please, here or on the other forum that Darius suggested. Thanks. And keep safe!

Jean

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

tornado in Kansas, divorce in Georgia or a hurricane in Florida.....

either way, someone is fixing to loose a mobile home.

drew

Hi Everyone -- Thanks for your concern. SweetPea just got good news to replace the bad. The bad was that the school will not be a shelter this year.
The good news- The principle said we are welcome to use it as a shelter********* This is wonderful. I can bring Scooter and Polly and they have a back-up generator, plenty of food and most important --- COFFEE. Thank the Lord!! I've been so worried, not for me but for my family.
My son and DIL are out in the garden right now putting my EB's in the shed although I don't think they will be saved but we are doing our best. By the time it reaches the Ft. Laud. area, it could be a Cat 5 and that is the worst. I must admit I am very, very, very worried.

This message was edited Sep 1, 2004 4:14 PM

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

DeepRoots, that's funny. Warped, but funny. Sort of F'worthy.

TPlant, you mean you basically get the whole school? and you can take your animals? That's soooo good. And you don't have to tackle the highways - which look almost worse than the 'caine. Looks like it may back down a little, and that makes for more rain. I guess it's a heads or tails hurricane. ~Blooms

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Hang in there, Tplant!
John

I'M BAAAAACKKKKK !!!!!! Survived this one with minor damage. My son insisted we go inland to myDIL's brother's home because he didn't want us to be alone in the school and he couldn't get to us in an emergency.(Cop on duty) Rode it out about 15 miles west of here. His home had the aluminum shutters and it was built to the new codes pertaining to hurricanes. This storm took three days to pass and now here comes another ! HAAALLLLPPPPP....

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Hey Tplant.....glad all is well......that is the good news! You have pwer, better news~

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

One more back! :D

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Glad your back Tplant!

Thank You Everyone. It seems like we are going to have another hurricane! Forgot the name but this makes three in a row. I've never been thru anything like this. We are going back out today to restock our hurricane supplies. We spent $288.00 last week. This week it will probably go $300 because we had to clear the refrigerator of all food. Though we weren't home, we lost power for at least 7 hrs. and we were told by the authorities to clear the refrig and not take chances. It seems someone up there does not want me to set-out my tomatoe seedlings? I have 72 healthy seedlings that are more than ready for transplant. Had to move twice in one year and both times it prevented me from setting my tomatoe plants and now this??

Auburn Hills, MI(Zone 6a)

tplant,, and other FL peps..

glad to hear everything is ok,, yea they should have told you about the food,, make sure to check if your under boil water or not to ,, or you can get sick... we always loose power here from major ice storms here in the winter and the black out last summer,, let me tell you camping is more fun,,, but I thank God each day I wake up!! we are here for you !!!

I do have a ton of seeds I need to trade or give away,, when this is all settled , let me know if you need anything,, I would be glad to help you out...

gardeners are a different bread of people,, we are here for each other,, I'm a farmed raised city girl.. raised with a house full of kids and belevie me I was very thankful at time to have warm house and food !!!

my parents raised me right !!! dad made sure I could raise/kill my own food if I ever needed it,,,

well enough of me blah blah blah,,,

take care

cheryle

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

Tplant, I'm glad you made it through okay. Now we have to keep our eyes peeled for Ivan!

Don't worry... You'll get those tomatoes out in time for a nice Fall crop. I'm just glad you still have a house around which to plant them! LOL.

Take care, and keep an eye out for the next one.

Jean

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

TPlant, If they get way leggy before you plant them just plant all the legginess in the hole. The leaf axils you bury turn into roots and it makes for a really sturdy plant.

I have a friend who buries them sideways-like burying the stem at an angle. I prefer the deeper more upright method and deep watering living in the desert I figure the further rom the sun the roots get the better.

Just glad you made it thru this one. did you take the critters with you?
Can't hardly take in that there's another one coming down the pike right at you all again. Well, they can quit saying the everglades is running dry. - I know - warped.

You bet I took my critters with me. Where I go, They go. Meanwhile picked up a nasty cold along the way and I was in bed sleeping all day yesterday. Feeling better to day but am very ackey. All I want to do is get my seedlings in the ground but not today. It is really nice to know so many people are concerned for our well being. I know your always there for me SweetPea. Thank Ya'll.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Ughhh! Summer colds!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.