Does a weather forum make sense?

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Seems to me it does make sense. Hurricane Frances is cranking up and a weather forum would give our DG friends a place to keep the rest of us updated as to how they are fareing. That would apply to other nasty weather as well. Or, really just a place to talk about the weather. Its one of many gardener's favorite subjects. A place to include weather fotos, too. We could complain, brag, whatever! Talk about climate zones. Global warming. Mmm. Maybe not that. That might get political! :-)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

way2dumb, I don't know about a new forum but the weather surely impacts all of us, and in many ways besides the actual weather effects. It could be a good place to offer help to others who are devastated by weather.

We probably have members in Richmond and the photos this morning of cars on top of cars from the flooding and mud slides are awful. Think of all the gardens that will need replacing.

We ran a few threads about Bonnie and Charley, with a lot of concern for our members as well as the general populace. (Now I don't remember if the threads were on the Parking Lot Forum, or maybe General Discussion, but you could find them.)

Frances may be worse.

Frances has estimated miminum central pressure of 28.05 inches (barometric pressure). This can be a very dangerous storm.

Pati, are you watching?

Commerce, GA(Zone 8a)

Darius, just got an update on our news. It seems it has been upgraded to a cat 4! Path is now almost for the whole east coast of Fl. I'm getting ready to put up shutters, bring hanging plants inside &etc.we will probably evac if this storm doesn't turn!

GaGal, I'd evacuate, too... and as soon as I secured the house, and long before the roads get congested. I'd hate to be stuck on a highway in my car in a Cat4. Lives are worth far more than homes and plants.

I'm afraid of what damage Frances will do on top on so much as yet unrepaired damage from Charley. My half-sister still is staying in a motel in the Kissimmee/Orlando area with her home nearby that's not fit to live in.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

The predictions have already changed again...this morning it was southern FL, now they are indicating a more northerly turn and predicting landfall nearer the FL/GA border...we all need to watch a bit longer. Remember as of today there is still a 300 mile margin of error

Edited to add this link: http://www.quehubo.com/eng/hurricane_frances.html

Here's another link... http://hurricanetrack.com/
if you click on Frances in the first gray box it will take you to an interactive map. You can click on buoy markers to get info on weather and sea conditions.

This message was edited Aug 31, 2004 12:56 PM

This message was edited Aug 31, 2004 1:03 PM

Thanks, Stacey. I'd guess it may still change... 300 miles is a BIG margin of error.

Looks like we have hijacked this thread away from imway2dumb and made a "Frances" thread already. Sorry, imway2dumb.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

No, no! This is good.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Need to add: after Frances, though! How do I do that?

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm getting pretty sick and tired of having to be a participant in these threads.

This is the 1st year I've ever considered a hurricane shelter. They make ones that are like a super sized septic tank. Lovely thought.

Chris, are you really tired of the threads, or just the need for them with your projected storms and our caring?

You cannot sink an oversized tank it FL... it will bob and float like a swimming pool. LOL. (I remember when my neighbors put in a swimmimg pool in about 1957. It truly bobbed out of the ground and floated once we got some heavy rains.)

edited for spelling

This message was edited Aug 31, 2004 4:01 PM

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Darius, thanks for the heads-up E-mail. Just got back from the grocery store with the last (hopefully) of the supplies. I started with my preparations over on the Pet Forum with Dachshund Carriers? My daughter found one (not Doxie) that's big enough for both of them. Still not sure if it will fit under the dining room table, but it's sturdy. TomKitty has his own. I have everything taken care of for the animals.

I would love a weather forum! AOL used to have a chat room connected to their weather site and it was great. Then the crazies came in and took it over. Most of them were kids with NO parental supervision! When you read all the Forums here it's amazing how much weather talk goes on. Being a weather junkie I would love it!.

I've been through every Florida hurricane since 1951. Leaving is not an option because I always have animals to consider. So, setting up your safe room and getting your supplies ready is really important.

The turn to a more northerly direction is due to the high not building back as soon as they thought it would. I keep the loop satellite running most all day so I can watch it in real time. It was really strange during Charley. For two days before landfall the NOAA site gave Venice FL as the landfall. I didn't hear that once on the weather channel. Then it went in at Punta Gorda which is only 17 miles from Venice! Somehow it seemed like nobody was minding the store.

GaGAL, if you leave, be sure you take Insurance policies, titles to cars & boats, mortgage papers and a print out from your Vet about shots or health problems for your pets. Sometimes when you leave, it's a while before you can get back and these are papers to live by. I just open a small suitcase and throw stuff in as I come across it. Medications, papers, clean underwear, change of cloths, etc.,etc. I have no intention of leaving, BUT you never know, so mine is packed, sitting right by the door with the animal crates, JUST IN CASE.

Well, have to go vote in the primaries. Then go get cigarettes, coffe and diet Sprite. Don't preach, now is not the time to give up my only vice. I got too old for all the others. LOL
Pati

Edited to add this. It just came up on my alert. This is why you should leave at least two days before the storm comes. Can you imagine being stuck out in your car in 145MPH winds?

Turnpike To Be Closed Both Ways Through Rush Hour
A serious tanker crash on the Florida Turnpike has left the highway covered
with fuel and foam, and it will shutdown the Turnpike for several more hours.

Edited AGAIN for this info. The eye doesn't have to pass over you for you to sustain damage. This from NOAA:
HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 70 MILES...110 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 175 MILES...280 KM.

This message was edited Aug 31, 2004 3:57 PM

This message was edited Aug 31, 2004 4:01 PM

Good moves and prep, Pati.

Frances has again dropped from 28.05 inches (barometric pressure) to 27.82, indicating more strengthening, and it's already back to a Cat4. Most of you will not remember, but the storm that moved across Okochobee in the 1920's killing so many hundreds of people had a pressure drop to an unheard-of 26.XX.

If you are in the Path, do not mess with this one!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh my...its a heat wave warning here at 84 degrees. Wish that I could transport all of ya'll here for the weekend. Please stay in touch and safe.

One of our members, LouisianaSweetPea, has a web site dedicated to hurricanes and related weather.
http://members.aol.com/Minnyminew/weather_hurricanes_latestinfo.htm

Way2Dumb, I didn't mean to ignore your comment and question above.

Can we postpone your suggestion until after Frances, and use your thread?

I think there are many here who would like a weather forum. For Dave, it will be whether there are enough of us or not... always his criteria is how many folks are interested. I'm always interested in northern and midwest patterns because they affect my friends. Same for the entire East Coast, but especially Florida with hurricanes.

edited for spelling

This message was edited Aug 31, 2004 5:12 PM

Latest barometeric pressure is 27.76, down from 28.05 then 27.82 earlier today... another sign of strengthening. Just on the 5PM EST weather update, forecasters are beginning to say how much this looks like Andrew even though it is still a ways out.

The latest NOAA/Hurricane Hunter report willl be in soon.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Absolutely, Darius!

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Just one more thing. Look at where the Tropical storm force winds are going. Even if it turns up the coast to GA we will still have power outtages and heavy rain. FILL UP YOUR CAR.& GET CASH in small denominations. Gasoline pumps and ATM's don't work without power, and big bills sometimes can't be changed. Keep in mind what happens AFTER a storm has gone inland and dropped below hurricane force winds...still lots of damage.

Since we are all friends here, I will confess....the excitement builds, the
adrenaline flows and it is a very scarey high! I watch it come with dread, but always feel dissapointed if it misses us completely! It's one of mother nature's great shows. I never said I was smart, just that I'd show up every day. LOL
Pati

Ladson, SC(Zone 8b)

I know how you feel pati. I love extreme weather. Hugo came ashore after dark and you couldn't see anything. But the noise was incredible! It really is some sort of adrenaline high preparing for a major storm. My biggest concern is my trees and local wildlife. I'm already bottle feeding one baby squirrel that was tossed from a tree during Charley.

As far as a weather forum......I think it's a great idea.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Earthquakes are the same only you don't get to prepare in the same manner. It is so good sometimes to feel so small. Does that make sense? Like opening your eyes and you are standing on the very edge of the Grand Canyon.

Dais', I am glad I never have lived (much, just SF/Oakland) in earthquake country. Hurricanes at least have some warning and some predictability.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Hang in there, Pati! Sounds like you're prepared. Remember, your friends are thinking of you. The Lord hears your prayers. You are in good Hands!

Okay, in an effort not to continue to hijack this thread, I have started a thread for Hurricane Frances here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/453749/

Please make further posts about Frances there.

imway2dumb, I think a forum for weather is a good idea. How about calling it "Storm Warnings" or something similar?

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

I'd certainly be interested in a Weather Forum! The weather is such a tremendous influence upon our gardens and our lives.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Everybody talks about the weather and nobody does anything about it. I think a weather forum is a good idea, not necessarily storm warnings but just weather in general. Up here we don't get tropical storms or hurricanes, but we do have some interesting weather in the wintertime and droughts to deal with just about every year in the past 10 years or so.

Mary, I agree,,, maybe a new forum would just help make us aware of the different weather conditions we all face... and maybe even hepl with thardes.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have weather bug and i keep track of the weather there all day long-always checkin the radar!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Even without the major weather crises as in hurricanes, tropical depression rainstorms that drop 22inches of rain all over Louisianna or Virginia, blizzards and such, there are the everyday 'what's going on' with late freezes, exended cool spells and constant references to 'unusual weather we're having' -- I pick up a little here or there amongst the threads. Our Market growers pay close attention to the freeze warnings and such.

I'm a weather world-wide addict. I have 20 weather sites in my favorites list in my attempt to figure out why my friends in Europe are frying or why it won't get warm enough to ripen tomatoes in Minnesota or Saskatchewan.

So I vote for a weather forum. Or at least an ongoing weather thread. Thanks for bringing it up, I'mway2dumb.
ps_what's 'weatherbug' a website?

This message was edited Aug 31, 2004 11:12 PM

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

Blooms, Weatherbug is a little desktop program that activates when you sign on to the Internet and receives live weather data. The program can be customized for your location.

The icon sits in the "tray" at the bottom of your screen and "chirps" when there is a weather alert or warning.

You can see a screen shot of the program and a link to Weatherbug on my WX download page:

http://members.aol.com/minnyminew/weather_downloads.htm

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I liked Weatherbug a lot untill I became infested with spyware and adware. Twice!! Easy to cleanup with the software but, still a nuisance! I use Weather Depot and Intellicast now

Imway2dumb, There is a new thread about interest for a weather forum on the Dave's Garden Forum http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/453764/

Y'all who are interested should post there since Dave monitors that forum closely.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I went and put my vote in for a weather forum at the link above. ~Blooms

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

We've got it, Dave made it already!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Weather forum: http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/weather/

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

MaryE when we purchased some land in Oregan on the coast [ Otter Rock, central coast] we found out later it was directly on a fault line and the beach below was black sand..so yu do have fault lines there like we do in California [ we were rather nervous after having gone thru several tremors and quakes here] so you really never know what to expect....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.