WOWZA Love Lies Bleeding!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Check this out guys! I gave these seedlings to my next door neighbor Cindy, and she grew them in raised beds full of that Miracle Grow potting soil (mixed with regular dirt as well). Even her Abe Lincoln tomatoes were a bumper crop! We're buying that stuff next year! I'm taking seed from these plants and will post it on the seed trading forum when I know for sure how much I have to share. (they are the tall reddish plants behind me, if you don't know what they look like - they should only be around 3 ft. tall). (I'm 5' 6").

Karrie

Thumbnail by Karrie20x
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Here's one more shot.

Thumbnail by Karrie20x
Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow - they look like trees!!
Will you have any seeds?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Yes, and I will be sharing them. I just don't want to post it yet, until I know for sure how much I have to share! Keep your eyes open for the post - probably in about a month. :-) (see those stockings in my hand on the first pic? I was getting ready to put them over some of the spikes, to save seed).

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

Did you ever see the picture of Dave with the 'love lies bleeding' headress?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

yes, it was quite funny! :-)

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Someone emailed me and said they didn't think that was a Loves Lies Bleeding. It is - it's just a mammoth. Here is a pic of more "average" sized ones, that came from the exact same seed packet that was sent to me from Arkansas, last winter.

Thumbnail by Karrie20x
Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

I agree that its Amaranthus, but I have to also have to say it doesn't look like LLB. LLB has a cascading flower. (see attached link). Even in the Plants Database it looks like some have referred to the different Amaranthus varieties as LLB?

BTW....did you know Amaranthus seeds will remain viable for at least ten years if stored properly? So collect that seed and trade, trade, trade!

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/annuals/loveliesbleeding.html

Sandy

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

They do cascade originally. After awhile, those "cascades" branch out into what you see in the pics. It is part of their cycle. Thanks for letting me know about the seed's longevity!

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Oh man, I hope I don't miss your seed post, I would love to try this one!!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I looked "Amaranth" up on the PDB, and that really looks like it - it was great to see them get that big. I am going to keep the seeds from that one separate from the average sized plants. I will be posting it soon on the seed trading forum (am making up seed packets now) so keep an eye out!

Meade, KS(Zone 6a)

Absolutely incredible! I hope that I do not miss your seed post either...Janet

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

pretty plez save me some seeds-i have elephant head amaranthus if you want some!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Dori,
That is a beautiful picture! The lighting is perfect behind the house.
Terrie

Wichita, KS

Karrie
Did you ever get seeds for these?
~Nuts4Spuds

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.