need clematis transplanting tips

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I have 3 of my clematis in 5 gal pots and I want to move them into some large decorative pots sometime before next Spring. The soil they are in is horrible, it packs really bad & I do not want to keep anymore of it then I have to, but if cleaning off the soil is gonna be too traumatic, then I will leave it. I am sure the whole plant will lift out of the can in one piece. So I need to know which way to do it, and also when to do it, month-wise. The names of these three are THE PRESIDENT, NELLIE MOSER & JACKMANII.
Any advice is appreciated. Oh, and 1 more thing, I really do not need to cut back the foliage because the vines will easily slide off the poles they are on, but would it be beneficial to the plant to cut it back?
Thanks,
Donna

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

Donna, my advice to you is to wait till the die off naturally before transplanting. (fall) thats when i do mine and had no problems. i transplant mine due to i have mine in pots too. if you dont want the dirt the safest way to get rid of it with out damaging the roots is soak it off in a bucket of water for a day. i have had some bad soil myself so i know what you mean about it. soaking works best and is gentle.

i did have to transplant mine during this summer and what happened is all the plant died back all leaves fell off and then at the very bottom after i put it in its new palce and left it alone it started to come back.

if you can wait till it dies off naturally it would be best then to transplant as the greenery is providing nutriets for next year. hope this helps Marie

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Donna I agree with imzadi about waitng until they are dormant to do anything with them . The roots are easily dealt with and you should have no problem getting them out.

I have moved mine several times and did nothing specal just dig them up and plop them in where you are putting them. If you don't see any small white roots on the root ball it might be a good idea to do a little trimming on it before you "plop"

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I had a Nelly Moser planted for 3 years and it wasn't blooming so I asked the local (on the radio) expert and she told me to dig it up and dig a hole deeper than it was. The roots like to be cool and dthe tops like the sun. In pots I would keep that in mind and put, or plant, something in front of the pot.

Jeanette

Its true about planting it deep; my DM says that "clematis like cold feet", so the deeper you plant them the better they like it. I moved mine the first summer after I planted them, for a better location, and just plopped them into a new hole, but nice an deep. They were fine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.