Wayside Iris

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Did you get the email sale on bulbs from them? They have several iris that are really pretty. I think I will have to order them. If you have any remarks about Wayside please let me know.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I don't know if Wayside is an iris grower or a plant broker (a nursery that purchases plants from growers then resells them to their own customers). If they are a plant broker, that means any irises you purchase from them will not be freshly dug. They will have been dug by some grower somewhere sometime, then sold to Wayside for resale to their customers. There's no way of telling how long such irises will have been out of the ground before the end customer purchases and receives them. Also, the more different hands irises pass through between the commercial grower's garden and the customer's garden, the more likely names will get scrambled and irises will end up misidentified.

You'd be much better off buying those same cultivars from one of the commercial iris growers who often offer even better prices and who guarantee the accurate identities and freshness of their stock. If you tell us which irises you'd like to purchase and Wayside's prices, someone here might be able to direct you to a commercial iris grower who offers them at competitive or cheaper prices.

Laurie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.