Centaurea gymnocarpa 'Golchester white'

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I have several of these in pots...much like a 'Dusty Miller'...but it is getting leggy and I don't have a clue where to cut it. Does anyone know? Thanks!

Belmont, NC(Zone 7b)

DaleP6:
Looked it up. All I could find was to divide it in Spring or Fall. I've always just cut back to where I want it to start growing from. Does that make sense? Don't think you could kill this doing it. Try on one of them and watch it for a couple weeks. Mine have always taken off like crazy.
Jay (smooth)

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Jay. I looked it up could find no care information. Do yours tend to droop over? How much water do you giv eyours and is it in part sun? Sorry for all the questions!

Belmont, NC(Zone 7b)

In full sun. No drooping. How much water are they getting? Are they drooping because they've gotten leggy reaching for the sun?
Don't apologize for asking questions. I'm absolutely no expert but could talk plants forever.
Always keep some Dusty Miller in my yard-my maiden name is Milller. When I'm in the yard I'm mostly muddy, though.
Your variety are supposed to have a pink tinge, mine are the old fashioned grey. I'm sure they require the same care, though. will look it up to be sure.
Jay

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Muddy Miller...my middle name is Patricia but with a first name of Dale, I get a lot of mail addressed to Mr.! Mine are pretty pekid...I'm going to take a photo and show you tomorrow..
Dale

Belmont, NC(Zone 7b)

DaleP6:
Waiting to see.
Jay

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

This is one that was in a mixed planter and perhaps it didn't get enough light at the bottom because the bottom stems browned and I cut them off. If you look carefully, you can see I have staked it.

Thumbnail by DaleP6
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

And I had given up on this one. It got knocked over during the hurricane Charley evacuation and all one side browned. But I cut them off and when I went to take this photo, I saw it was getting new shoots. But as you can see, it is droopy and getting a very unattractive shape like the previous one. I see photos of them being somewhat bushy. I wonder what would happen if I cut this one all the way back. Do you think I need to leave some stems? It just doesn't look happy!

Thumbnail by DaleP6
Belmont, NC(Zone 7b)

DaleP6:
Looks definitely leggy. Could be too crowded in that planter-fighting for root growth. Also looks like it's not getting enough sun. Would definely cut it back to the new growth to give it a chance to recover.
Dusty Miller needs to be cut back every once in a while, anyway-like petunias- they do better if given a haircut. When you do a mixed planter, make sure all the plants have the same requirements-sun, water, etc. since it's in a container give it a real good flushing with water to get rid of any salt buildup, and if you have't fertilized, go ahead and give it some food. Container plants need more fertilizer because they don't have compost, etc. and watering leaches out all the nutrients. If you know all this, I don't mean to be insulting. What I know and what I do are sometimes two things. I need to be reminded sometimes. All my containers need this right now.
Jay

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Jay. Yes, I know most of that, but like you, I just don't get around to it. This is the first year I've tried combination planters and probably have mixed apples and oranges. I shall cut them back and report back to you! Do you have photos of yours? I could print it and put it by the pot to show them just what I expect from them! LOL

Belmont, NC(Zone 7b)

DaleP6:

Don't have a digital camera, but bought a disposable, will post the pics soon as possible.

Love mixed containers and so often the Dusty Miller adds a silver softness you otherwise wouldn't get. Love it with coleus, both burgundy and chartreuse, and with a purple verbena.
If you want a perennial silver, have you tried artemesia?. It dies back in winter, but comes rt back in spring and looks great next to phlox and pansies spilling over a wall . Is it too hot for pansies there?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

You could both go to Preferences at the top of the page and add your zone. Might help all of us reading your posts to know what might do well in our zones.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Mine used to say Zone 9b....don't know what happened. Yes, Jay we can grow pansies for a limited period of time....about March--May. Good idea for Artemesia, but good ol' reliable Dusty Miller is probably my best bet, you know? Sometimes something seems "exotic" and unusual while the old stand bys serve us best! I don't know why but the Centaurea gymnocarpa just isn't thriving....I think the heat so I may try it again in March/April and let it get established before the heat really gets serious!
Now, one plant I got ,knowing that I would surely kill, was Begonia popenoei. I've never had much luck with the few Begonias I've tried and quite frankly they have just never appealed to me much. This one's description hooked me so I ordered it from Singing springs. It has quadrupled in two months and is just spectacular...of course there is still the possiblity of death, I am really enjoying it while it lasts!

I'm looking forward to the photos!

Belmont, NC(Zone 7b)

darius:
Thanks, took your advice
Jay

Belmont, NC(Zone 7b)

DaleP6:
Had a hard time finding b. popenoei, but finally found a photo. The leaf color is really pretty. I have gotten interested in b. rex "Escargot". Saw it on Gardener's Diary and it has a leaf like a snail shell. It is zone 11, so I'll have to keep it inside in winter. I do much better outside than in cause the Lord (and my hubby) help me water. Still want to try it.
Jay

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.